Website migration - feature requests please

For more than a decade, NZLARPS has benefited from free web hosting by former member Craig Neilson. I am sure that I speak for us all when I thank Craig for his generous support over the years.

Craig is closing down his web platform, so we are migrating our sites to a new host. This hosting will also be free :slight_smile:

We now have an opportunity to retire the nzlarps.org and whatislarp.co.nz sites, and replace them with a Wordpress site which exposes the same content via the same URLs. The existing sites are fine, but it requires technical skill to make content changes, and the problem of user-friendly content management has been solved by the likes of Wordpress.

Diatribe will continue as it is (a phpBB site), with one proviso that it is maintained at the most up-to-date version (this is for security as php has a large attack surface area).

Wordpress was selected as the content management system because it is free, mature, open-source, integrates with BootStrap 3.0, and has a vast array of plugins we can use.

So, what features do you think will be useful ? I would like to create a backlog of features that can be implemented as time and resources allow.

Important: it you would like to help, please post here or PM me. You don’t need technical skills (although these are appreciated). Content creation and review is very important too, so if you have some time over the next 2-3 months, and would like to help then all assistance is much appreciated.

My current thoughts for the initial migration are:

• whatislarp.co.nz will be migrated as-is (i.e. very similar content), but there will be some kind of security system that allows specific people to make changes to the various pages.
  • nzlarps.org will get a revamp, splitting the general public information from NZLARPS membership functionality. Also, the events calendar will be replaced with some kind of plugin and we’ll include a way to link to the FB event (NB: you will not need to be a FB member to use our site or view our events).
  • Styling will be via Bootstrap 3, and we would aim to be mobile-friendly

Would any of the following be useful ?

• accept payments for membership or events (via PayPal or similar)
  • Sub-groups with their own mini-sites that are viewable only by group members (similar to the backstage area here on diatribe)
  • Features only available to NZLARPS members (can’t think of any off the top of my head, just though it was worth asking)

I’m happy to help with the migration in any way I can.

Probably want to schedule it for a weekend and get a few people together to help in whatever way they can.

Also, I’d love to chip in and get Craig something, diatribe has been a big part of my social connection for much of my larping life.

Appreciate all your work on this Mike. As I’ve said I’m happy to help with the tech end as time allows, proficient with all the languages and tools but not expert in them.

If nzlarps.org is being rebuilt do you anticipate a new layout/graphic design? Do we have any graphic designers on board, even just to tweak a Wordpress theme?

[quote=“Derek”]I’m happy to help with the migration in any way I can.

Probably want to schedule it for a weekend and get a few people together to help in whatever way they can.[/quote]
Thanks. Yeah, weekends are best, just in case we have issues to deal with.

Agreed, diatribe has long been the glue for our community.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Appreciate all your work on this Mike. As I’ve said I’m happy to help with the tech end as time allows, proficient with all the languages and tools but not expert in them.

If nzlarps.org is being rebuilt do you anticipate a new layout/graphic design? Do we have any graphic designers on board, even just to tweak a Wordpress theme?[/quote]
Appreciated. I think it’s a really good opportunity for a redesign. I am going to contact the graphic designers I know in the larp community and hopefully they will be able to help.

What about paypal or similar pay-as-you-register systems?

I think this is an awesome idea :slight_smile:

Would we still have a forum like diatribe to discuss on - would we keep diatribe?

Yes. Its just going to be moving to a different box.

Yes. Its just going to be moving to a different box.[/quote]I’d be screaming murder if I thought Diatribe was going to go away :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Its just going to be moving to a different box.[/quote]I’d be screaming murder if I thought Diatribe was going to go away :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

Literally? Cos that’s actually a really amusing image