The Great Exhibition at MOTAT's "Aether and Iron" Event

Hi everyone,

I had a meeting today with Tami, the MOTAT events-organiser, and Andrew McCartney, who works at MOTAT and has been larping for a few years now.

As the gala finale event for their inaugural Time Traveller’s Day Out (discussed in this thread), they’re keen to run “The Great Exhibition” for a combined player set of experienced larpers and the MOTAT-going public. There will be a certain number of spaces for experienced larpers, and some reserved for new people. The idea would be to “sell tickets” to the Great Exhibition during the event to recruit non-larpers to the game. They would also like us to provide a number of experienced larper volunteers who can play characters from Great Exhibition during the day to help sell it to the public and to provide people for the public to interact with. They also want to give us a stand where we can promote nzLARPS and the community’s upcoming events.

This is a fantastic opporunity for the larping community to forge a good relationship with MOTAT, and to get some great exposure and publicity amidst the public. We’re looking for volunteers to (and you can do more than one of these!)

a) Come along in steampunk/time traveller costumes to boost numbers at MOTAT’s event
b) Come along as part of the Great Exhibition promotion team to play a character for the public during the day and convince new people to come along and play Great Ex in the evening (we need about ten)
c) Help man the nzLARPS stall and talk about our fantastic community and upcoming events to the public.

We are getting final confirmation on whether the Great Exhibition can go ahead tomorrow. In the meantime, it’d be great to get an indication of who would be interested in coming along to support MOTAT and nzLARPS in any of the above capacities!

The event is on June 12th.

Yes to all!

I’d love to play the great exhibition again as another character!

And am most happy to walk around Motat all day being that character!

Yay!

I so wish I could be there!!!

This sounds awesome … time travel, you say? Hmm, I have a Chrono character that needs dusting off …

[quote=“Zara”]Yes to all!

I’d love to play the great exhibition again as another character!

And am most happy to walk around Motat all day being that character!

Yay![/quote]

Same here! :smiley:

I would be happy to help in any capacity. :slight_smile:

This is most excellent.

I will be there, in costume, facepainting for a couple of hours. (Yay! :smiley: )

I’m also always happy to swan around in costume, so put me down for that.

It looks like the Cosplayers are super-excited about the Aether & Iron event too, and will be there in force. Some of them may well be interested in the larp - as hobbies go we’ve got a lot in common.

I’d been keen to help in any capacity, love swanning around in costume!

same here i love the whole costume thing sign me up

Hi guys,

Further developments and discussions with MOTAT has resulted in the following. Due to logistical issues from MOTAT’s end, the Great Exhibition will now be running on July 10th at their historical venue. They would like us to come along and promote it at Aether and Iron, we will have a stand and alongside that, we will have two half hour larp workshops where we can explain to complete newbies what larping is and how to get involved.

I need between 6 and 10 volunteers to come along in costume and help take turns manning the stand in costume, talking to people as well as enjoying the event.

Love to come and help, sadly will be working that day.

I’ll certainly be there.

For reference, most of the discussion re: the June 12 event (“Aether and Iron”) is over at
http://www.diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5693
with some more details at http://www.diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5887

Among other things, I believe nzLARPS are crewing a stall at the main marquee, and recruiting people for both the July “Great Exhibition” event (at Motat), and other nzLARPS events.

So, how many spaces for regular LARPers are there at the game (as opposed to Newbies)? Because I’d really love to play the game again.