Skill check!

[quote=“sophmelc”]
I don’t think it’s too short though. It will work very well for simple hacking tasks. And I can add to it if I want things to be harder.[/quote]

I can rip through 1 iteration of it in about 10-15secs. Which is pretty damn short for hacking. It’s pretty hard to fail too.

Not that I don’t like it. It’s pretty great for a quick hack of security locks or whatever. That other one where you had to break through the defenses, drop a trojan in, steal passwords and break through multiple defenses was amazing though. Really intense if you put an external timer on it, and totally immersive. Also addictive. But it was more of a game so I think you need to unlock the higher levels and I’m not sure if you can pick from challenges or anything.

I guess if you could a hold of multiple netbooks and tablets then you could have a bunch of terminals and ports around the place that could be hacked. I also guess that if you had a session which was more about breaking into an Arc or something you could add a lot more complexity.

It kind of makes me feel like their should be a second tier of Tech though. Tech allows use of items, Hacking allows something more. Science is the tier that allows building of Tech stuff so you don’t really need anything for that. I guess maybe you need Tech and Pick Locks to do hacking. Or again maybe it is a a roleplaying thing. Like I was going to take Tech for my character to use some tech stuff like remote detonators for explosives, maybe other things. I don’t really feel like he could hack a terminal in an Arc though.

[quote=“Jarratt”][quote=“sophmelc”]
I don’t think it’s too short though. It will work very well for simple hacking tasks. And I can add to it if I want things to be harder.[/quote]

I can rip through 1 iteration of it in about 10-15secs. Which is pretty damn short for hacking. It’s pretty hard to fail too.
[/quote]

It took me at least a minute and and three tries to get it… so that is you…

[quote=“Jarratt”][quote=“sophmelc”]

Not that I don’t like it. It’s pretty great for a quick hack of security locks or whatever. That other one where you had to break through the defenses, drop a trojan in, steal passwords and break through multiple defenses was amazing though. Really intense if you put an external timer on it, and totally immersive. Also addictive. But it was more of a game so I think you need to unlock the higher levels and I’m not sure if you can pick from challenges or anything.
[/quote]

This mini-game will be used in the same way it is in Fallout, for hacking a password for a specific terminal to access the information on that terminal. For more advanced hacking I’d have other challenges. In some cases it may require a certain subset of skills. But that’s unlikely to come up in the first game.

In terms of different levels of tech usage, I will look at increasing the skills list if there is a demand for it.

Making new ammo is a Gunsmith challenge. If you had repair and ranged I might let you try, but it wouldn’t be as effective.

I my defense I did play a lot of Fallout 3. I did have to remember what I was doing though.

[quote=“sophmelc”]
In terms of different levels of tech usage, I will look at increasing the skills list if there is a demand for it.[/quote]

It’s already been well established that I like the simplicity of the system so I’m happy enough to just roleplay whether I would hack or not with Tech.

Gunsmith seems right. Ranged and Survival for making arrows maybe but Gunsmith seems right for bullets. They require more smithing.

Making new ammo is a Gunsmith challenge. If you had repair and ranged I might let you try, but it wouldn’t be as effective.[/quote]

I think that’s fair. It is a lot easier to make ammo than guns, but I accept that a gunsmith would be better at it.

Ha, check this out. mitchellthompson.net/demos/terminal/[/quote]

In Auckland I have a board type game called "Super Master Mind"
It has a set of 5 holes and 8 colours plus blank
One person sets a secret code and the other has to guess (like this game) you get marked each time on whether you get colours in the right place or colour correct, not in right place.

Typically takes 3-10 mins to solve.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/411934/super-mastermind

Please tell me if you would like to use this :slight_smile:

[quote=“Rhiannon”]In Auckland I have a board type game called "Super Master Mind"
It has a set of 5 holes and 8 colours plus blank
One person sets a secret code and the other has to guess (like this game) you get marked each time on whether you get colours in the right place or colour correct, not in right place.

Typically takes 3-10 mins to solve.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/411934/super-mastermind[/quote]

Mastermind, super or not, home made or not, is quite a good idea actually. You can make it easier or harder for different character skill levels. Higher skill level, you get more attempts or get one peg for free or whatever. It’s low-tech, doesn’t require battery power, and is water proof, making it easy to run outside and also could be left in place for hours or overnight quite easily.

The only downside is that is has to be moderated by someone. But you could easily have a crew member who knew how run the challenge, or potentially get one player, who wasn’t going to try and solve it, to be the moderator.

Simple checks could use less colours, more complex ones could use more colours / pegs.
Great Idea

Here’s an online version of Mastermind, in case people were wondering what the game is like, as I was:

web-games-online.com/mastermind/index.php

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Here’s an online version of Mastermind, in case people were wondering what the game is like, as I was:

web-games-online.com/mastermind/index.php[/quote]

Looks easy; wonder if there’s an App for it, allowing smartphones to be used as “locks”?

[quote=“IdiotSavant”][quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Here’s an online version of Mastermind, in case people were wondering what the game is like, as I was:

web-games-online.com/mastermind/index.php[/quote]

Looks easy; wonder if there’s an App for it, allowing smartphones to be used as “locks”?[/quote]

Yes. At least 3 different versions in fact.