[RP Thread] The Journey to Skye

Jack takes the offered flask in his left hand.

“To Lily, her laughter and smile”

He takes a slug and solemnly hands the flask back.

After a moment he says “Ah remember she mentioned an Ivy… ah apologize, ah didn’t make the connection, yew don’t match whut I recall her describin’.”

“Then again, ah 'spect none of us are whut we were back then.”

Jack stares down at his right hand sitting in his lap, which unlike his left, is covered by a thick leather gauntlet.

“No, I don’t suppose I do resemble the girl she knew. A lot changes in 10 years.” Ivy takes another pull from the flask, before closing it and putting it back in her bag.

“So Jack, you’re obviously an American. Did you meet Lilly there? We sent letters back and forth for awhile. But she never mentioned having made it to America.”

“Damn straight. Ah met ‘er in a minin’ town on a job.”

“Got in a bit o’trouble over 'er, as ah recall.” Jack grins.

“Local boss fancied she were his. She’n I fancied each other. Wanna guess whose luck ran out?”

With the tea cleaned up, Jack distracted talking to Ivy, and the earl having backed away slightly so they he could glare at the American more effectively, Jane abruptly realises she can make her escape. She carefully packs up her things, not too fast, not too slow, before picking up her mailbag and pulling her luggage from under her seat. She stands up and starts walking away, mumbling an excuse as she does so. She looks around for a moment and starts heading for a quieter portion of the ship, trying to act natural about it.

“Ha!” Ivy laughs, shaking her head. “That’s Lilly alright. Never did like a man telling her what to do or who she was. I’m glad she finally found someone who cared for her.” Ivy thought for a moment, her voice softens in memory . “When we were children we learnt the herbal arts. Our clans would come together every summer and we’d run wild, driving our teacher spare with our antics. Violet was always the calm one. Studious. She made her mother proud. So many people who are gone now, the martiyr have taken so much.” Ivy shakes her head again. “No point holding on to the past. It’s like trying to hold on to the wind. Though if you could, can you tell me of the demon that killed Lilly?”

“Ah’m sorry, ma’am, this may not be the best time an’ place for such stories” Jack says, nodding to either side to indicate the many survivors lying around the hold. “It ain’t fer the ears of the faint-hearted, if yer catch mah drift?”

Ivy looked around, as if suddenly remembering where she was. “Of course. All this talk of home and people I’ve known almost made me forget.” She reaches into her bag again and pulls out the flask. “Well Jack in that case, perhaps we should continue to spend the trip in fine company, with fine whiskey, celebrating those we’ve known.” She salutes him and takes another swig.

“Ah’ll be happy to drink to that, ma’am!” Jack declares, pulling his own flask from within his duster, matching Ivy’s salute & swig.

[quote] “and ya? 'ow ‘re ya ‘oldin’ up? wot was it ya wan’ed ter tell me that ya couldn’t say in fron’ ov Love & Kisses Fletcher?”
[/quote]

“Remember Red Agnes? You must, the papers were going rabid with the scandal earlier this year.” Esther looks around nervously and lowers her voice. The rest of what she says is imperceptable to anyone but Artemis himself.

She shudders, looking back in the direction Agnes is in. She’s not visible at the moment, though she is clearly dreading the inevitable return to her side.

“She was so grateful to me.” She shudders. “I think she thinks we’re friends.”

“I do recall summit abaht it in the chuffin’ papers, but I was somewhat involved in personal matters at dat point, didn’t 'eaven take it in. dat was 'er!?”

He gently puts a hand on Esther’s shoulder, glancing back in the direction they’d come.

“The very same.” She reaches for her pocket watch instinctively. “I’ve done things I’d never have thought myself capable of -we all have, I know- but I’d have laughed, a week ago, if anyone had told me that the thing that would finally turn out to be too much would be making polite conversation with a stranger.”

She shudders. “She expressed her sympathies when I told her that I hadn’t any family living. Imagine.”

Artemis just stares at Esther, unsure of what he can say at this point. Then he carefully grabs the hand reaching for her pocket watch, puts his other arm around her shoulder and gently pulls her into his embrace.

“it’s been a 'ard few days fer all ov us., innit.” He finally says

“Yes,” Esther agrees.

There is silence between them for a moment as she accepts what comfort Artemis can provide and offers what she can in turn, returning his embrace. Then, softly, she says; “For you at least as much as me, I expect. If it’s wrong of me to bring this up, please forgive me. But… Lily.” She swallows. “I knew that nothing short of London burning could stop you trying, and now…” Esther blinks furiously, eyes watering. “I’m sorry, Artemis. I’m so sorry.”

Artemis hangs his head, almost overcome with grief.
“I 'rrived too late, if i’d 'ave just gotten there a day sooner maybe…” The two of them just stand there clinging to each other for support. Finally Artemis reopens his eyes and lifts his head.
“the Drum were empty so 'oo knows maybe 'e took 'er wif 'im when 'e fled. I Lord dough, if Per’ins is still alive i’ll make 'im pay for wot 'e did ter me sister, can I…” he pauses, the words stuck in his throat. “can I count on ya ter 'elp me find 'im, if 'e still lives?”

Esther nods, somehow managing to maintain composure though she has the constant look of being seconds away from crying. “Of course you can,” she promises. “She was my friend, too, and you’re right. He needs to pay.”