NZLarps Photos Group on Facebook

Thinking back over the Mordavia photos, they used to be posted on the Mordavia website. It was a great website - had everything I needed to know about the game, including a link straight to the forums, and it was nice to be able to see that photo archive. I went back to that website a little while ago, and the photos from the games were still there, just as accessible. However, there were no photos from some of the later games - the platform of choice changed somewhere along the way and the website didn’t keep up. Also, the website is gone now along with that archive.

Facebook is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. I mean, while social spaces on the net don’t change much over the decades [/sarcasm], Facebook appears to have gone to extra lengths to try and worm its way into many other internet structures. Maybe it will even last another decade, and if it can do that perhaps it can last even longer. However, Facebook does tend to lack temporal solidity, for what of a better term: it operates in bits and pieces of the here and now, and the past gets blurry quickly. If you don’t believe me, try deleting all your posts for a given month, and then hitting F5 - your just emptied month will fill with new data that you couldn’t see before. Took me about six iterations of that to delete all my content. On the whole, Facebook is not structured as an archive. Perhaps photos are an exception, however, as you can dump large quantities of them and they all appear to stay put on your photo wall (unlike your text posts).

Two concerns, though. One already mentioned is that non-facebookers (the few of us like myself), cannot see them without joining. This has the advantage on curtailing open access to this archive a little, but does so in a way that is only coincidentally beneficial to the community, and not completely so - people within the system can still see it regardless of whether we benefit from that or not.

The other is whether this archive will stay around. Sure, it seems pretty permanent now. So did all its predecessors, in their time. Will it still stay a functional archive for photos? It used to be that you could see every post you ever made on Facebook, but that is no longer true. We have no control over whether Facebook might one day decide to ‘streamline’ archived photos and just show the popular old ones to people. Indeed, as I understand it, the reason this group was created was because Facebook was failing as an archive for photos - having them dispersed over individual profiles was not working.

I would like to be able to come back in 10 years time and look through all the photos from old games. Facebook doesn’t even let me do that now, as a non-member. We already post a lot of photos to Facebook, and that will, as commented above, continue to happen. Its a tool we can and do use, but it was not built specifically for this purpose, and we have zero control over its future.

The issue for me is how do we ensure, decades from now, that we can still explore this history of ours with ease?

Thanks for the continuing perspectives folks, keep it coming.

Can I just say for the benefit of those off Facebook that for those who do use and enjoy Facebook, and aren’t too concerned about photos of themselves in character, the group in question is already performing amazingly. The NZ Larp Photos group has turned my newsfeed into a veritable treasure trove of amazing new larp photos from recent events, accompanied by people complimenting each other, joking around and discussing the games pictured. Seriously, the power of the social graph turns the group into so much more than a photo archive or forum, it really is a celebration of larp and a community hub that actively pushes cool new stuff in front of your eyeballs so you don’t have to hunt for it.

If there’s an agenda it’s that larp not be hidden away in a darkened corner, that we own the awesome and be proud of it. Photos are the most accessible way to do that.

Having said that it’s not for everyone, and we’ll do our utmost to respect people’s wishes not to be pictured without prior permission.

Damn; I’d tested the public availability of the original photos, but not the group itself. So in fact they’re slightly more private than some current practice.[/quote]

Oh, you’re right! The albums in the group are visible without logging in, even though the photos aren’t. So we can link the albums here for people who don’t use FB. Cool!

Non-Facebook folks, here’s an example of an album and you can see the comments etc:

facebook.com/media/set/?set … 330&type=1

Personally I’d prefer that the photos be held somewhere other than facebook, as they can still be linked to from facebook, and they will then not be sibject to the vagaries of facebook’s annual re-organisation. My main concern is that whenever I’ve tried to find stuff in facebook it was a nightmare. And that’s when I knew what I was looking for.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Non-Facebook folks, here’s an example of an album and you can see the comments etc:
facebook.com/media/set/?set … 330&type=1[/quote]Interestingly, I can see those photos, even without the login. (Very glam, guys.) Thanks Ryan.

Yep, so that’s nice at least.

One of the main points of making a photo group in Facebook is to help make photos easy to find in a single place, unlike before we had this group. At least, for people with a Facebook login. Go to the group in a browser, then click “Photos” and in the “Albums” you’ll see an album for each batch of photos. It doesn’t get much simpler than that regardless of what software you use to store photos.

It’s more challenging using the Facebook mobile app, but still possible to navigate to the photos by going to the group, clicking the “More” button at the top right and then selecting “View Group Info”. From there click the photos link and then albums.

Even if Facebook changes how you reach the photos when they update their interface, it should still be possible to get to a list of the albums with all the photos. I can’t foresee that changing or the photos being removed. Facebook’s policies on nudity on the other hand could possibly turn into an issue, but I don’t recall seeing any NZ larp photos posted publicly that would break those rules.