Memberships Process Tidy-up & streamlining

I agree with Scotty, the “Documents” page is probably the most dispensable.

In the medium term, once we get the event creation & booking going, we may want to consider making it so users “log in” to the whole website.

You’d still be able to view most things without logging in, but when logged in you’d have editing & event registration options.

Visually we could do something like the “Log Out [Ryan Paddy]” link used in phpBB somewhere at the top when logged in, and “Log In” & “Register” options went not logged in. I’m not entirely sure how that would fit into the existing web design though. Craig?

The reason I suggest this is that many of the pages on the website, including projects, affiliates, membership, and the events page that I think we will add (soonish) could all have data-driven features that a logged-in user could interact with. Rather than having an “administration area” we could integrate editing functions into the main pages. Because editing options will available to lots of users - all those organising events, for starters.

We could implement this now, so that we don’t need to change it later. But I’d need advice on where to put the log-in/status links, visually. Also, we may want it to leave people logged in until they log out (like Diatribe) rather than expiring their session after a day.

EDIT: this approach should mean that we wouldn’t need a “DATABASE” link at all. Rather the database functions would be integrated with the whole website. Not sure where the list of users would be accessed from (for committee members), but could probably just be a link next to the “logged in” status, wherever that goes.

I think the idea I suggested above is probably the best to do in the end, but for now I’m keen to get what we have into operation without a whole lot of extra work.

So I’ve removed Documents, moved the constitution download to Contact Us, and will ask people to input themselves now.

The member database is announced, and people are gradually adding themselves.

Some of them are applying to have their membership recognised, someone will need to fill in their membership details - member no, expiry date, discount. AJ, you should be getting a notification email each time someone applies to have society membership recognised.

You guys don’t need to register again, you can just tidy up the registrations you’ve done. Fix up the membership details too.

I just verified a whole bunch of people.

There are only about 17 members in there. It might be an idea to put a reminder to sign up in the next mass email or Immersion.

I recently sent out a number of emails to our lapsed, or soon to lapse members asking them to come to the database site and re-enroll through that.

Only one has taken it up.