Historical dance practice Wellington

So this is mostly because any and all plans for my zombie survival LARP are going to be on hold until we buy a car…

One thing I really enjoy at fantasy-themed events is dancing. It doesn’t happen too often and quite a few people intimidate themselves with thoughts of ‘but I don’t know how it’s done!’ and decide not to take part even though they might like to. But it’s great fun!

So I was wondering if there was any interest in some sort of regular or semi-regular practice? I’m thinking Vogelmorn hall would be ideal, and sessions could be scheduled in the evening on a weekday or during the day on weekends.

I have one caveat: I’m not an expert either. I’d have to look stuff up from Youtube videos and I’d probably encourage others to do the same. But I do have a few people I can ask for advice on what’s easy or hard - and where they get the music from.

Thoughts? Advice? Tomatoes? (They’re good in soup…)

1 Like

That sounds like fun. I used to go dancing with the Wellington Medieval Guild although that was long enough ago that I can’t remember any steps, and apparently they’re on hiatus now. But if you get this set up, there are probably reenactors in Wellington who would be interested as well.

(I probably wouldn’t be able to make every week, but once a fortnight would probably be something I could commit to.)

I was thinking at most every fortnight or maybe even every month. I couldn’t do a weekly schedule either.

It’d probably be on Tuesday or Wednesday nights unless someone gives me a good reason why that’s a bad idea.

It sounds like fun, but I don’t live close enough to participate

Hmmm… Does anybody remember what kinds of dances the Wellington Medieval Guild used to practice? Or know anybody who does?

Might be a plus to start with something that some people have already seen, even if it was a long time ago.

They always started with branded (round dances). And sometimes Playford country dances, which are a lot later in period. But I wouldn’t be able to teach any of them sorry.

We’d all have to teach each other to a degree, I think. :slight_smile: But I’d probably prepare a list of things to look at in advance. So I’d have seen at least a video or two and taken some notes on steps if possible. That’d be me, though, and not a requirement for anyone else.

I was thinking of starting with something easy like this, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RlYeu5GBs

It’s possible to pick that up in less than 10 minutes.

And maybe this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMyb1UtlzE

But after that? Who knows…!

Playfords are something I should look into, though. You’re the second person to mention them.

Okay. I’ve sent a booking request for Thursday 28 February 7pm to 9pm to Vogelmorn Hall. For a one-time event for the time being so I can see how we go. Fingers crossed…

What do I need to do to have it appear on the NZLARPS event calendar once the time and date are confirmed?

Dates aside the session will happen if I get six dancers or more (including myself) that sign up.

Simply log in and add it here: https://nzlarps.org/events/add-an-event/

Alternatively, email the details to wellington.marketing@nzlarps.org

For a splash image, use something public domain or CC-licensed. If you don’t have anything in mind, I can add this later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lorenzetti_Good_Govt_Detail.jpg

(The “small image” is a logo for the events page. It will substitute the date if you don’t provide one)

Meh. Looks like that webform didn’t work… :frowning:

I’m negotiating an alternative date. I called the Brooklyn community centre today and they made it sound like it’d be extremely difficult.

Long story short, this is not happening in February. Maybe in March if I’m lucky.

I’ve found email is the best way of making a booking there.

It’s been over a week since I sent them one and I haven’t heard a peep.

This is cancelled. I have a full-time job with no privacy and no time to follow stuff up with them on the phone again and again. I’d be grateful if one of the admins could delete this thread.

…well. I’m glad we have no admins that delete threads. :slight_smile:

This is officially on! I’ve been able to secure a rehearsal room at Toi Poneke (61/69 Abel Smith St, Wellington) for Monday, 10 June, 7pm to 9pm. I don’t think we’ll be using all of that but it’ll give us a bit of wiggle room to wait for people arriving late and to clean up after ourselves at the end.

The cost per person is $5 and I’ll need at least 6 people to make this happen. I’m going to add this to the NZLARPs calendar if I can work out how but feel free to get in touch with me through Diatribe as well if this is something you’re interested in.

As for what’s actually planned - I’m sure I’ll start panicking about that very soon. :slight_smile: I’ve got a small list of dances that I’d like to try (I remember exactly one of them out of the box) and I’m open to suggestions of others. As I said, I’m not an expert so we’ll have to work it out as we go to an extent. But I’ll try to prepare instructions and ideally find a video or two for each of the dances we want to learn. I’ll also bring speakers and such and ask some of my sources for the music that we’ll need.

The only thing you need to bring are flat shoes - the dances we’re going for weren’t designed for people in heels. Long skirts are optional but I’m definitely not going to stop anyone. (I might wear one myself, actually…)

So - admissions are open as of now! Let me know if you’re interested by the end of this month, i.e. May 2019.

1 Like

Here’s how to add events:

This sounds awesome! (But unfortunately I’m busy on Mondays. Fingers crossed that this goes well enough for a repeat on a different night.)

Heh. I have crazy dreams of several sessions over a number of months - capped off by a sort of mini-ball. But I digress… :smile:

Shame you can’t make it, though!

1 Like

Ah, update. I’ll be running around crewing Embers on the last day of this month. So let’s say that I’ll need people to respond to this by the end of Queens Birthday weekend, i.e. 3 June instead.

1 Like

Hooookay. It’s gone up on NZLARPs. Feel free to point people in that direction if you think it might be something for them!

1 Like

Hmmm… Not a lot of interest so far: I’ve got a grand total of three people at the moment - and that includes myself. I know I’ve got almost another week until the deadline but it’s not looking too good at this point.

In the meantime, here’s the first dance we’d start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ra67m2n-vA&feature=youtu.be

It’s nice and simple and one of the people that have responded say they can teach it. :slight_smile:

We’re going for round two! Here’s the event page: https://nzlarps.org/events/detail/202

Here’s a list of the dances we had a go at last time. We’ll repeat them next time before we hopefully try one or two others. One of the Playfords maybe, but it depends on the number of dancers and also on whether that number is even or odd.

Turkish bransle/Maltese bransle (also known as schiarazula marazula)
Scottish bransle/bransle Charlotte (kicking bransle)
Ballo del fiore
Petit riens

:smiley: If you’re thinking of finding some videos, the last two are actually not quite as hard as they look.

1 Like