[IC RP thread] Returning to the Taverna

Zek glances up from his notebook, surveying the scene from the corner of the taverna. He looks surprised for a second, as though he hadn’t realised anyone else was there. He looks especially surprised, however, to see Ivy back on her feet.

“You’re up,” he says, grinning. “And I think you’ve beaten my bite-mark tally.”

[quote=“musicforwolves”]
“You’re up,” he says, grinning. “And I think you’ve beaten my bite-mark tally.”[/quote]

Ivy smiles and gingerly stands to make her way over to his table, “Well Paddles, I can’t say it was something I was hoping to do. But yes, I’ve managed to stay in the land of the living. Amazingly if you ask me.” She takes a seat next to him and rests her cane on the ground.

Through the window, Jack can be seen patrolling the perimeter of the main building complex

“Well, there were a lot of your friends around you to make sure you came through,” Zek says, finishing a page of scrawled Latin and tucking the pencil behind his ear. “I wouldn’t call it amazing, myself - then again, with those friends of yours, I’d be more surprised if they found something they couldn’t do.”

He leans back and closes his eyes. “The funny thing is, I was told it’d be safe here. With you and Jack both up, I’m finally starting to feel it.”

Lily smiles sadly at Zek.

" 'tis dangerous to think we could be safe here, Ėvėdzó. Or anywhere. 'tis nice to be surrounded by friends though. I suppose I would choose this over safety anyhow."

Ivy pulls her gaze back to Zek, her concentration having wandered. “I can’t say I share you’re optimism at my skills.” She gestures at her tightly bound wounds and down at the cane. “But having people like Jack, Lilly, Jasper and Leo on the island certainly increase our chances. And with a little luck we’ll have some time while the demons regroup to shore up or defences.”

“Thanks Lily, I’ll take whatever help I can get. Paperwork is not something I’ve been trained for,” Leonard says with a smile. “With the dearth of army personnel around here we’ll need the help of the civilians to run this place, even if it is a military camp.”

[quote=“tog42”]
“Thanks Lily, I’ll take whatever help I can get. Paperwork is not something I’ve been trained for,” Leonard says with a smile. “With the dearth of army personnel around here we’ll need the help of the civilians to run this place, even if it is a military camp.”[/quote]

“Once I’m back on my feet Leo, I’ll help out however I can. I’m not really great with paper work either, but I do have a talent for getting things. I suppose my duty to Her Majesty isn’t over yet.” Ivy gives Leonard’s arm a light squeeze. “And after all, you’ll be my brother soon. Any you know how I feel about helping my family.”

The tavern looks inviting. Even from outside Bess can see the hanging fabric, the light glinting off the bottles, and she can hear a low hum of congenial chatter. Is that music? She longs to go inside, warm herself by the fire, get a drink, chat to the gypsies…she knew a gypsy girl, once. Fun girl. Named after a flower? Of course, gypsies have lots of names. It might not be anyone she knew.

“DARBY. STOP DAWDLING.”

The rest of the ‘work unit’ are heading towards the forest, to tramp through the mud and back to the barracks. They are put up on mattresses in a drafty shed, and the harsh island wind whistled through the cracks. No privacy, no freedom, no hot water nor time to spend making friends with strangers. No cards, no booze, no men. Or women. When I get free, thinks Bess glumly, the first thing I’m going to do is go to that tavern and order myself a drink. And see if gypsy hospitality is as good as I remember. She grins. By this time the Guard is looking murderous.

The next six months stretch out in front of her like a desert. She rejoins the others, throws the tavern a last look, and falls into step.