Friday Night Larps

Really cool idea. Will give some of us newbies a chance to mingle, and if we’re ambitious, to run a few games ourselves. I’m totally up for this.

Ambitious much? :wink:
I suggest we try out some baby steps first and make it work simply. Nice idea though.[/quote]

Well, we do already have some light & sound stuff, and some games have already achieved some nice results even within the confines of a convention. I think it would be even easier with a regular venue and a stand-alone game.

But as you say, it’s not something that’s needed out of the gate.

I’m continuing to organise this for next year, and have eight awesone GMs signed on already. I’d really like another another 3 or 4 GMs lined up to round out the first half of the year. Don’t worry if you haven’t dobe it before, you’ll be well supported and looked after. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll give you more details and choice of dates :slight_smile: Remember, running larps is amazing karma!

I won’t be able to attend any LARPs for the rest of the year, but I’m game for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING next year! Just a few quick questions - what sort of times would these games start at and how long would they last?

Average Friday night at the movies timescale.
7pm, three hours or so, everyone out of the location at 11pm, usually.

Hmmmm. May take some talking with the parentals but I’m sure they’ll come around. Any ideas as to what kinds of LARPs will be held? Names were thrown around earlier in the thread but they are Klingon to me.

They can come play too :smiley:

I’m still hammering out the timetable, but should have something online n early Dec
Line up includes a rockstar game, a game where you play personification of diseases, French revolutionesque game, Monty Python and more

Heh. Pestilence and Petri Dishes. Good times…

If I could find somewhere to crash afterwards I would be happy to run Steampunk Alive: The Great Train Robbery one Friday. Or even Corbett and Grimes: Private Detectives from Chimera last year. That is if anyone’s interested?

Oooh! I would make a FANTASTIC asthma! A Monty Python game sounds really fun! Would it be set in one of their sketches?
I LOVE steampunk to bits so I’d definitely be game for a Steampunk LARP. Playing detective sounds fun too!

We’ve got a timetable for the next few:

March 15th - Stop That, It’s Silly!
March 29th - The Queen’s Justice
April 12th - Of Pestilence and Petri Dishes
April 26th - Welcome to Sunny Valley
May 10th - Sabretooth

The next Friday Night Larp after Sabretooth will be June 7th, and we’re needing games for July onwards.

Friday Night Larps is under way, we’ve had two games already and have a further three lined up. I think reception has been reasonably positive and hopefully the GMs have found it a good experience also.

We’re looking for more games for the second half of the year, to keep this going. Here are the dates we’re looking at running on. Have a game you’ve written that you would like to rerun? Played in a game once that blew your socks off and want to run it for others? Step right up, we want to see your game. Of, if you missed out on a game you really wanted to play, tell the GM how much you want to see it. It’s amazing what popular demand can achieve :slight_smile:

June 21st
July 5th
July 19th
August 2nd
August 16th
(Chimera Break)
September 13th
September 27th
October 11th
October 25th
November 8th
November 22nd

Will there be anymore one-off LARPs like this in the future? I ask because I thoroughly enjoyed those LARPs - and, indeed, LARPing in general - but am but a humble student who is unable to make it to over-night campaigns.

I’ve really loved all the LARPing I’ve done so far, so I go for all the ones I can - I’m perfectly happy to wait until I’m in uni (and therefore at a less awkward age for overnight-campaigns) to continue LARPing but WOULD like to know if there are any LARPs I’ll be able to attend in the mean time.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Heya - have you considered coming along for Chimera? If you can’t stay overnight, even just coming for the Saturday is a great option, you can get three larps in on one day then go home happy at the end :slight_smile: If nothing else, you should totally come to The Rose and the Dragon on the Saturday night!

On Saturday morning, you could go to Tesla’s Wedding, or maybe you fancy a drink at the Captain’s Table, or maybe you’d prefer to be a monster in a KiL Quest?

On Saturday afternoon, there’s a Tournament of Champions, or you could be one of the New Voices in Art, or perhaps you’ve always wanted tolive a day in the life of a bee!

If you only want to do evenings, on Friday night there’s Raids at Dusk, and a meeting of the Evil Overlords Society Inc, and out by the firepit the Fall of the Jaguar Gods is taking place.

But definitely come to The Rose and the Dragon! :smiley:

(and its cheap as chips! Only $25 for up to a whole weekend of larping!)

I may be able to attend The Rose and the Dragon! What exactly would a large-scale LARP entail?

Like a little one, only bigger. Though in this case, the game has been chopped into 4 linked 40-player segments, so it will be nice and manageable 9and not too crowded) for the players.

^ what IdiotSavant said. All of the little games you’ve played have come out of previous Chimeras - Chimera is 27 or so games in one weekend. And the big larp is the dame thing except instead of 20 other players, there’s 150something other players :slight_smile:

Hi Anna, (this is Maria btw who larped for the first time on Saturday at Chimera :smiley:) So how does one find out the location of these games? And also how do you know what kind of costume/s to bring in advance?

Looks like Auckland needs to put on some theatre-style in a hurry…