Factions

I like the Zebulon Series… They’re not so bad. I mean ok, the Z6’s are a bit creepy and the Zebulon 1-3 are kind of silly looking, but I’ve heard nothing against Zebulon 4 and the Zebulon 7’s promise to be very helpful.

The Zebulon-6 Drones have saved the Army’s bacon countless times since their initial rollout in northern Europe and China. They can handle without losses jobs that would get five times their number in humans killed and be sent on guaranteed suicide missions without losing a sentient being. I could also argue that the Goldcrest Aetheric Disruption System (GADS) is really no different to the plenty of other instances out there in pop culture of characters using their enemy’s weapon/s against them. (the first AVP with the tail-spear and Predator 2 with the disc-saw spring to mind, which is a telling reflection on my taste in terrible movies)

Not sure what else the society’s done to get everyone’s ire. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d say that there’s certainly an ethical debate to be had about Homunculi, the manner of their creation and their treatment/place in the world, and I’m all for that stuff being explored in game and associated RP, which is happening :smiley:

[quote]

musicforwolves wrote:

sophmelc wrote:

musicforwolves wrote:The other part of this is that while the factions may develop a sort of reputation in-game, it's never too late to help change that reputation. I've heard rumblings that there's a bunch of new characters devised to try and make science respectable again, which'll have a massive impact on the way everyone views the Order of the Gear. And if anyone decides to go amok, their faction will inevitably take that hit, too.

Not to mention the Society!

I think the Society might be beyond help. They seem to have dug themselves a hole, and then proposed to dig their way out.

Yeah, I can see the union of the gear potentially redeeming themselves. But the society for the betterment of humanity seem far beyond redemption. Except maybe for Aura…[/quote]

If your characters are affiliated with India or the colonies, East India Trading Company might be…interesting. Be warned though, as Jon pointed out, there is a lot of hostility towards certain factions because of the actions of SOME of their members (Disclaimer: not unjustly. Milton.) If players have decided that factions are “beyond help” because of this then there’s not much you can do about it. OTOH, trying to redeem X faction would be interesting, if an uphill struggle. Again, going back to Jon’s point, it does get annoying having to deal with the fallout from what other players have done.

But take comfort in the fact that the mud doesn’t always stick: Church of Van Helsing brought a serial killer to the Island and their reputation hasn’t taken a hit, so…

I’m sure nobody hates the Royal Mail. I mean how much of a bad rep can two players have given it?

Considering how bad a rep a single player has given the Union… quite a lot! :smiley:

But joking aside, these factions are meant to be huge and the actions of a few will often colour the perceptions of the many. IMHO if you wanted to rehabilitate a faction’s rep just come up with something truly good that the faction has done, as a counter point to the ethical grey areas already established.

I would recommend going over to the Connections thread to try and establish something there :slight_smile: it certainly helps to have an established connection with at least one character for your first time

If there is one thing the Royal Mail probably has a rep for it’s dying a lot. One player died between sessions, last session alone at least 2 RM NPC’s showed up and died shortly afterwards… Jane personally survived the burning of the London Post Office, which killed a LOT of Robins, and the life expectancy of a Long Range Robin is very low. We don’t even look at the stats any more.

But the pay and health care package is fantastic.

Also while the rest of the world has to ration, we get fed very good meals! The Royal Mail Chefs are some of the best and our armour (for both people and vehicles) is second to none. Really local Robins do tend to live quite a while, it’s just that the Long Range Robins (and infernonaughts) tend to skew the stats a bit.

Yeah got a couple of connections already :slight_smile:

As leader of the mercs in always offer a chance to join when ever i can one can never have too many fighters/skilled people in ones group

The more the merrier!
Although the more people to split our earnings with…

[quote=“sophmelc”][quote=“tog42”]And everyone forgets the Army of Allied Nations? The AAN is at the vanguard of the fight to push back the hell-spawn and would of course be in dire need of people with knowledge about their enemy. However they were forced to pull out of Skye at the end of the last session to reinforce the front lines after a massive defeat by the demonic horde and as such a good reason would now be needed to explain why a soldier is assigned here.

I’d also mention that certain factions carry baggage in the game due to the actions of characters and events on Skye in the first couple of sessions. So new characters may also find themselves tarred with the same brush.[/quote]

You mean how almost every person associated with the East India Company, the Society for the Betterment of Humanity and Union of the Gear seems to be utterly homicidal and insane?[/quote]

NOT ALL of the Society and Union members are homicidal and insane… Gadget is neither of… well she has a good heart and strong moral code!

poor Gadget… forever alone…

Hah, you think you’re forever alone? :stuck_out_tongue:

The Royal Mail is the loneliest faction! Unless Charity comes back I guess! But she was last seen spoilers so we are pretty confident she is dead as anything.

I think you forgot to spoiler tag the actual spoiler there… :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really - Master Biffin was wondering around being very upset about it to anyone who would listen. Since he was one of the Royal Mails most famous hero’s everyone in the Royal Mail knows what happened and have gossiped about it for about 3 months now. Admittedly that means the story may have gotten a little warped…