Weaponry

[quote=“KateB”][quote=“Scott”]Kate are you talking about for foam weapons (swords, axes and so on) and props?

If so, we use a mixture of latex and paint.[/quote]

Yup, specifically those cheap foam weapons you get in $2 shops. I know they’re not as sturdy as specifically-made LARP weapons but it’s the best I can do right now. Can you use just some sort of ordinary paint to change the colour, without having to buy latex, and if not, where’s the best place to get latex from?[/quote]

What Kind of weaponry are you looking for, because a lot of us will have spare kit that they can lend you for the game, until you get sorted
Also NZLARPs also has some kit as well, but I’ll let them talk to you about it.

[quote=“8w_gremlin”]

What Kind of weaponry are you looking for, because a lot of us will have spare kit that they can lend you for the game, until you get sorted
Also NZLARPs also has some kit as well, but I’ll let them talk to you about it.[/quote]

Hey thanks Gremlin

I suspect that Tic won’t have much in the way of weaponry. Not being too spoiler-y, one of the things I was planning to use is a cut-off kid’s toy “cutlass” that she will basically be using as a mini-machete…mostly in a survival sense more than combat. It would work ok probably the way it is, but I was just curious as to how it (and similar things) would go if I wanted to add some paint to it.

I originally wanted to have a plain walking staff that could be used for defence, and getting hold of that seemed to pose the most problem, but it’s not entirely necessary.

Perhaps if someone could bring a spare staff, I might decide at gametime if it would be suitable, if that’s ok? I’m kind of reticent about borrowing other people’s stuff, particularly if I don’t know them - might sound silly but from my own experience, you tend to perform better with your own tools (-:

[quote=“dagger”]So before I start my first nerf gun project, was it yes or no to battery powered ones?

The one I bought is a semi automatic nerf stockade. It doesnt seem to be hugely scary compared to the automatic ones that were being used at hydra.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that is okay. I’m still keen to hear about the Vortex (Disc) Nerf guns. I quite like the look of one of them for my character, and I particularly like the idea of having purchased one from a master Gunsmith like yourself, complete with a makers mark or something too.

[quote=“KateB”][quote=“Scott”]Kate are you talking about for foam weapons (swords, axes and so on) and props?

If so, we use a mixture of latex and paint.[/quote]

Yup, specifically those cheap foam weapons you get in $2 shops. I know they’re not as sturdy as specifically-made LARP weapons but it’s the best I can do right now. Can you use just some sort of ordinary paint to change the colour, without having to buy latex, and if not, where’s the best place to get latex from?[/quote]

Hi Kate, I hate to be a bore but $2 shop swords aren’t going to be good for combat. They’re fine for just a prop but if you want to fight with it I’m afraid it won’t be safe. LARP specific swords are built to hit people with out hurting them. If you want a sword for fighting with we’ll be able to arrange one through NZLARPs for you to borrow.

Like Tim says people have plenty of spare kit so borrowing things is never a problem. Everyone is always really happy to help out.

[quote=“sophmelc”]

Hi Kate, I hate to be a bore but $2 shop swords aren’t going to be good for combat. They’re fine for just a prop but if you want to fight with it I’m afraid it won’t be safe. LARP specific swords are built to hit people with out hurting them. If you want a sword for fighting with we’ll be able to arrange one through NZLARPs for you to borrow.

Like Tim says people have plenty of spare kit so borrowing things is never a problem. Everyone is always really happy to help out.[/quote]

Oh good grief, it really is turning into an expensive hobby, isn’t it? Ok, has anyone got a small Larp-safe machete they can lend me please?

[quote=“sophmelc”]
Hi Kate, I hate to be a bore but $2 shop swords aren’t going to be good for combat. They’re fine for just a prop but if you want to fight with it I’m afraid it won’t be safe. LARP specific swords are built to hit people with out hurting them. If you want a sword for fighting with we’ll be able to arrange one through NZLARPs for you to borrow. [/quote]

There are some cheap foam weapons available from $2 shops & farmers that would be LARP safe. They don’t look good, but are pure foam, no central strengthening, so are perfectly safe, but not the most effective to fight wit. Would be like using bronze weapons against iron if fighting people with real LARP weapons.

I can bring some for you to look at to the meeting They could do with a coat of paint on the guards though

[quote=“mundens”][quote=“sophmelc”]
Hi Kate, I hate to be a bore but $2 shop swords aren’t going to be good for combat. They’re fine for just a prop but if you want to fight with it I’m afraid it won’t be safe. LARP specific swords are built to hit people with out hurting them. If you want a sword for fighting with we’ll be able to arrange one through NZLARPs for you to borrow. [/quote]

There are some cheap foam weapons available from $2 shops & farmers that would be LARP safe. They don’t look good, but are pure foam, no central strengthening, so are perfectly safe, but not the most effective to fight wit. [/quote]

Yeah that’s what I thought. The little machete I have cos literally a couple of dollars, so I really don’t mind if it dies quickly. It’s probably more for show, but as I say, if I have to use it for combat, it’s not the end of the world if it breaks first time.

[quote=“KateB”][quote=“mundens”][quote=“sophmelc”]

There are some cheap foam weapons available from $2 shops & farmers that would be LARP safe. They don’t look good, but are pure foam, no central strengthening, so are perfectly safe, but not the most effective to fight wit. [/quote]

Yeah that’s what I thought. The little machete I have cos literally a couple of dollars, so I really don’t mind if it dies quickly. It’s probably more for show, but as I say, if I have to use it for combat, it’s not the end of the world if it breaks first time.[/quote]
The issue is less that it might break and more that you might turn up and people won’t feel it’s safe. A cheap, good NERF gun will only cost you about $17. NZLARPS might be able to lend you a cheap weapon. Or for a really cheap option, be a brawler, your combat will consist of rock, paper, scissors.

Hi guys,

There have been a lot of questions flying around about NERF guns and what is or isn’t allowed. After discussion with a few people I’m changing the rules to what follows (the rules doc will also be updated):

[ul]Any NERF gun is allowed[/ul]
[ul]Players are only allowed 20 rounds of ammo for their gun, Militia are allowed 40[/ul]
[ul]Once a bullet is fired, it is considered spent. It cannot be used again unless you find a Gunsmith with a reloading bench and the materials to refill your bullets[/ul]
[ul]Bullets can be traded for[/ul]

I hope that clarifies things for people.

[quote=“sophmelc”]Hi guys,

There have been a lot of questions flying around about NERF guns and what is or isn’t allowed. After discussion with a few people I’m changing the rules to what follows (the rules doc will also be updated):

[ul]Players are only allowed 20 rounds of ammo for their gun, Militia are allowed 40[/ul]
[ul]Once a bullet is fired, it is considered spent. It cannot be used again unless you find a Gunsmith with a reloading bench and the materials to refill your bullets[/ul]

I hope that clarifies things for people.[/quote]

Thank you. One question tho - bullets can be traded for what? :slight_smile:

[quote=“amphigori”][quote=“sophmelc”]Hi guys,

Thank you. One question tho - bullets can be traded for what? :slight_smile:[/quote]

What ever you need sweetie pie!! Meds, Food, a blanket, bribery… There’s a whore house in Crossspire, they might need bullets too…

Oh! Bullets can be used for trade. Derp. I just thought Sophie was leaving me in suspense. And it worked! :smiley:

I am a townie gunsmith, so could I have extra bullets?

You could have filled some, but it’s your choice. You can have ready made bullets or you can have the materials to fill other peoples. Can’t have both :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification

No problem. Also my reply to Bex above is relevant to you too. You can either have a few more bullets (lets say 30) or the raw materials to fill to peoples.

You said any NERF gun, including battery operated disc firing “NERF VORTEX NITRON Blaster”?

Also what if you have more than one gun, I take it you have to divine the ammo between the two?

[quote=“8w_gremlin”]You said any NERF gun, including battery operated disc firing “NERF VORTEX NITRON Blaster”?

Also what if you have more than one gun, I take it you have to divine the ammo between the two?[/quote]

Yip, even those. If you want to have the discs that’s fine. It’ll just be harder to find ammo to replace your spent ammo.

And yes, your ammo count is split between your various weapons.

[quote=“sophmelc”]Hi guys,

Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Sophie! Two questions though:

1. I assume nerf guns includes bows and crossbows using nerf bullets?

2. In theory, arrows (though possibly not crossbow bolts) are easier to make than bullets; if we have repair/gunsmithing/survival or something similar, would we in theory be able to make our own arrows, and therefore have more ammunition, or is that just pushing it a bit? (-: