Systems for Campaign Theatre Larps

So, here in Dunedin we generally have at least one theater campaign going at any given time. And to date, at least since I’ve been here (roughly 10 years now), they’ve all been World of Darkness in one form or another. There’s definitely a growing desire to see something new, but I suspect one barrier that’s stopped things so far is actually having to come up with a new system. I’m brainstorming some ideas at the moment, but I’m wondering if anyone knows some decent systems for running ongoing theatre larps? What do the non-WoD games around the country tend to use?

I realise systemless is an option, but I suspect at least some of the players down here would prefer something to define their characters with. However, I’m open to fairly rules-lite options, and I think the general feeling is that WoD is way more complicated than it needs to be. I’m currently brainstorming my own ideas, but seeing what’s out there would help.

Often we use fairly simple rock-paper-scissors mechanics for representative conflict resolution, usually with a ranking system where higher ranks get to win ties. This can work for physical, magical, or many other types of conflict, though tends to be pretty bad at mass conflicts (WoD is likewise clumsy at mass conflicts, in my experience).

Pickpicket skills like “attach pegs to target object, targeted person gives pegged items to GM’s, GM’s give item to thief” is a nice simple one.

Maybe have a look at some of the rulebooks from some different games like 33AR, Teonn, Witch House (which used the Cthulu live rules), Dryspell, Moonbright. Some of them have live combat which might not be applicable, but some of the rules might.

Or rulessets for explicitly theatre-style campaign systems, like Star Wars, L5R, Fading Suns or Houses of the Blooded?

(Most of these are available in PDF from DriveThru)

Should also add; Cthulhu Live. The ruleset doesn’t suck as much as others, it has some nice insanity mechanics, and a great focus on staging.

What are your design priorities? Do you prefer extensive crunchy rules with many options, or simple rules that are easy to remember and which run in real time?

Adopting existing rules can mean inheriting their design baggage. Most will be quite crunchy I think.

I tried to write a simple abstract campaign system a while back, but never tried using it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5194

I heard of a system called GLASS a while ago (but all the games I’ve run have been homebrew, so I don’t know what it’s like to run or play.) And there’s Rules To Live By, which was designed for Chthulhu games.

I had a look at Dryspell and Moonbright, but couldn’t find 33AR and Teonn. It seems like their websites are down. Do you know if the rules are available anywhere?

Yeah, slow conflicts is one thing we’d definitely like to get away from. I’m okay with something simple for mass conflicts like “total each side’s strength, bigger side wins,” but systems tend to get messy when everyone in a big combat wants to do something different. I think the key part is being able to resolve conflicts in a single test. Old MET might have soured our group on paper-scissors-rock though.

[quote=“IdiotSavant”]Or rulessets for explicitly theatre-style campaign systems, like Star Wars, L5R, Fading Suns or Houses of the Blooded?

(Most of these are available in PDF from DriveThru)[/quote]
I’ve looked into L5R and Fading Suns before. The Fading Suns system is definitely interesting and different. From what I remember the L5R one seemed to have the same problem as WoD - it was basically a larp conversion of a tabletop system. I might have been wrong though, I’ll have another look at it.

Cool! I’ll definitely give this one a look then.

I think I’m looking for somewhere in the middle. Rules to cover character competence in more than just combat, but not as many rules as crunchier systems end up having. I want the system to be able to be leaned on when we need it but not be able to be cheesed too hard. Ideally I’d like to be able to fit a character sheet on an index card rather than players having to bring out a whole sheet for every test (although obviously any game involving supernatural powers will probably end up being more complicated). Physical conflict should be resolved in a single test (or otherwise very quickly). I’ve seen a few discussions in places about FATE-based larp, which is probably the level of complexity I’m looking at. (I’ve heard about Dresden Lives but didn’t get into the playtest, though from what I’ve heard about it, it might lean towards the heavier end of FATE.) If I have time later I’ll sit down and make some more specific goals.

I’m expecting at this point to have to make my own system, or at least do some converting to whatever setting we go with, but the more out there I can look at the better. I’ll definitely follow up on the suggestions I’ve seen posted here.

I have the 33AR rulebook somewhere. Though its basicly the same as the other stuff, but without an xp / build / character advancement system (it was designed for mature players who would choose a concept rather than fiddle with points).

You could also try looking at the rules for Empire and Odyssey, two live-combat fest games by Profound Decisions. Yes, live-combat - but very simple rulesets and easy to grab.

Theatre-style systems use either paper-scissors-rock or a card-draw + stat. Though I think Cthulhu Live just has auto-success - you point, say “attack”, they either say “dodge” or “oof”. Houses of the Blooded uses a bidding mechanic: you offer people a style point to lose the challenge, and they get to keep it if they accept; if they refuse, you can insist, in which case its a continuing bid with all points lost (they then have a very interesting duel system to generate style, which of course goes to the loser).

Lots of the published systems are very obviously poorly-designed tabletop conversions. And some are very clearly structured around the stuff you do in tabletop (e.g. Seventh Sea has narrated stunts) rather than the stuff you do in larp (talking).

Just had an idea derived from Chess 2: the Sequel (yes, a real game, and looks awesome). Each person has 2-4 stones based on their combat prowess, and each combat can ‘bid’ up to 2 of them secretly in their fist (bid token are then lost). The highest number of fists+stones wins, with ties injuring all parties but no obvious winner. Would be faster than RPC and scales up with more players.

Speak of the devil: they’ve just reposted the link on rpg.net davidartman.com/GLASS.pdf

40 pages. Ick. And that’s why I hate generic larp systems.

Shrug. That’s why a lot of Kiwi games write their own rules. But it’s available to raid for ideas, at least.

I don’t really have anything helpful to contribute; just wanted to say please keep us in the loop with whatever you end up working on/with, because this is a topic I’ve been wondering about myself recently and would love to see what you come up with. Not that I have anything against WoD, mind (nWoD with 40-card draw is a great system and works really well), but more diversity in game styles and mechanics would definitely be interesting to see.

Speak of the devil: they’ve just reposted the link on rpg.net davidartman.com/GLASS.pdf

40 pages. Ick. And that’s why I hate generic larp systems.[/quote]
Yeah, I’ll have to wait until I have the time and brainpower to parse that one. It looks like it’s very much written as a reference document rather than anything instructive.

It’s an interesting idea. I’ve wondered about bidding systems before but been unsure how players would react to it in actual play, so a playtest might help. (If you end up trying anything with it yourself, let me know how it goes.)

I’ll definitely keep you up to date with anything I come up with.

Sorry I haven’t posted much lately, I’ll reply with something more substantial when I find the time.