Reminder: please (re)join NZLARPS

So, looking at the membership list this morning, I noticed that we’re currently sitting on a less than 50% renewal rate for this year: as many people expired and didn’t rejoin since Jan 1 as have renewed or joined since then. While I’d love to email all those expired members and do a membership drive, the anti-spam law says “no”. But I can post here.

So, if you’ve let your membership lapse, please consider rejoining. You get a discount at Paddywhack and discounts on games, and those discounts stack up (if you play theatre-style in Wellington or play Crucible or Moonbright, it pays for itself). Even if you don’t need the discount, you get the warm fuzzy feeling of helping to support your local larp group in its efforts to run cooler games.

A lot of people seem to lapse without realising it, despite getting two or three reminder emails (one month warning from me, one automatically on expiry, and one within a month of expiring as a poke). If you’re unsure about your membership status, you can check it by logging on to the website or by emailing "secretary@nzlarps.org". If you want to rejoin, you can either follow the instructions here or just deposit your membership fee into the national account:

Account name: NZLARPS
Account: 12-3066-0279570-00
Bank: ASB
Reference: your name (Surname, initial).
Particulars: Membership

Membership is $20, or $15 for students and community services card holders. The secretary will update your expiry date from your date of payment, or just tack a year on if you pay early.

Correction: its the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007, not the Privacy Act.

So, you’re not allowed e-mail people and let them know their membership has expired or something?

I can and do let people know their membership has expired within a short window of time. But if people do not respond to those reminders and let their membership lapse, then contacting them becomes an unsolicited commercial electronic message, and sending it exposes NZLARPS and myself to legal penalties (not to mention just being rude). I fairly explicitly cannot contact ex-members a year after expiry and invite them to rejoin.

I can and do let people know their membership has expired within a short window of time. But if people do not respond to those reminders and let their membership lapse, then contacting them becomes an unsolicited commercial electronic message, and sending it exposes NZLARPS and myself to legal penalties (not to mention just being rude). I fairly explicitly cannot contact ex-members a year after expiry and invite them to rejoin.[/quote]

I got caught out with lapse membership, so I officially give NZLARPS the authority to contact me when my membership expires. :mrgreen: