Questions

Post your questions here. We will do our best to answer promptly, and any commonly recurring questions will be added to the FAQ

Okay.
As I’m very unaccustomed to rule “heavy” larp I do have a few questions.

How does “Spot” work? In what circumstances does it come into play and how does it manifest?
What are “Loot sheet” and how do you use them and for what?
How does “Resist” work? Do the player shout “Resist” or is it more of a player responsibility and the player keeps track of His/Her own usage score?

I get most of the “Call” mechanics. But are these actually called out (i.e. “FIRE!”) or is there some other mechanic?

Actual game play:
How much is “What You See Is What You Get” and how much is based on rules, for example “Barter”?
(There are a number of Skills that, in my opinion, seems redundant in an live action role-play environment as those are based on role-play)

Peace & Love

Esa

“Spot” - since the revision of the stealth rules, I believe James and Joe will be revising these rules as well as it is a little redundant currently.

“loot sheets” are a way for the GMs to send NPCs out and have them lootable without losing all the crew gear to loot-happy players. They are sheets of paper, normally with 10 slots on them each. For every slot, there is the potential for an item to be in it. Instead of players running off with the NPCs phys rep gun or caps or chems, the player takes the loot sheet. When the rules refer to the number of loot sheets, this assumes full loot sheets (I believe… double check with Joe on that one).

A Resist is a call. If you have resists remaining and are unaffected by anything which would otherwise prevent you from calling ‘Resist’ (Radiation for example), you may call it when you are hit to signify that the hit did not really penetrate - although a player should also roleplay.

I can’t help you much with the last question however, as things are changing within the game (the GMs are still learning, and it is a new system which has required some testing and tweaks to be made as they find what works and what doesn’t). In terms of barter etc. though, while it will give bonuses, it ONLY gives those if the NPC involved believes a sufficient level of actual bartering has gone on - you can’t just walk up and say “I have barter, give me discounts” for example. You do need to haggle (but if your name is on the list, then that NPC will be more inclined to give said discounts)

What skills are you talking about as I am sure James and Joe would love to hear thoughts on this. I know that this is something they have (and I did while I was a GM) try to encourage discussion on, but received replies from only a select few whom we sent the rules to directly… and have received little and less feedback (as far as I know, which was up until the end of the last game) from players of how things worked DURING the game.

Thank you so much for such a quick answer!
This clear things up a lot.

So, Barter or Speech-Craft bonuses is only (in mechanical terms) usable against NPCs? In all other cases (PvP) it is a matter of role-play and judgment?
If it is as I have understood it, I’m all for it!

Did I understand you correctly that “Calls” are meant to be called out loud (or whispered in someones ear)? Is it the same for all calls?
I gather that this rule is primarily to make sure that players won’t be tempted to cheat?

I kind of like the rule system. Although, I would like to see grenades and fire dropped all together.
For me it is a lot of “What you see is what you get”, so mechanics that breaks too much of the illusion hinders more than it helps (again, for me).

What I do like, and like a lot, is the out of combat systems. Like Lock-picking, Medicine or even Barter/Speech-Craft. If it is used with heavy emphasis on role-play it enhances the game.

What are the rules of hacking? And what is the physical representation of Hacking?

This question is for me to understand the manner of game play:
How present are GM’s? Will they be working “behind the scenes” or are they NPC’s that can secretly maneuver the game? How much do they influence the game/players/outcomes?
(I ask this because of my background and I really want to understand what to expect (which is kinda nonsense, I know, because the best way is to actually go to a game (which I plan to with the third game)))

One final question, this time:
Reputation. How does that work? I can only find references in the Beta Rules but no mechanics.

/Esa

Oh, and I would be more than happy to give you input and thoughts about rules and mechanics!
Just remember that I’m from a more theatrical tradition of larp :wink:

In regards to speech craft, barter and the like, you would be correct there. Makes things interesting to be sure.

Calls are generally called out, shouted or whispered where appropriate, so that everyone is aware of what’s going on. It’s a combination of safety and making sure that we’re all on the same page.

we’re aware of how fire/granades can do so, but we also felt that given the chaos of the wasteland we figured they’d be a needed inclusion. But we’re open to suggestions and ideas if you have them.

We are still putting our heads together in regards to the hacking mechanics but we are hoping to have physical representations wherever possible.

If we can manage it, there will generally be one GM out in the field keeping an eye on the action when possible. Whether that’s in character or not will depend on the encounters. This is just to make sure that everyone is having a good time and that all is well in the Wasteland. While we trust everything to go smoothly, LARP’s are legendary for their chaos. And we do occasionally want to witness the hilarity the ensues in-game.

Reputation is GM run mechanic that will be dependent on how the players interact with the various factions in the Frontier. This is based on reports we’ll be getting from crew and few other factors/mechanic’s we’ll be running.

And if you have any thoughts and/or suggestions then feel free to fire us an e-mail or PM either myself (Joseph Outram) or James Wyn on Facebook.

Which is awesome! :slight_smile:

Do you use smoke bombs/pyro during your games? We’ve been using that quite a bit in our PA games in Sweden. It’s very cool and entertaining. :slight_smile: And scary as crap when you know that the smoke is poisonous.

Nice!

Will absolutely do that :smiley:

In regards to smokebombs etc.

No larp (that I know of) in NZ has used these before. This is partly a safety thing - some people can’t handle the smoke. But it’s also partly a law thing. You can’t buy smoke bombs in NZ legally - you’d have to buy a fog machine.

Thoughts for grenades that aren’t just thrown spell packet (but look like grenades) were trying to rig something like a party popper so that confetti is sprinkled everywhere, but then we run into the issue of needing to be tidy kiwis.

In terms of GMs influencing things… there are very very few encounters where the GM will actively be trying to manipulate something for a specific outcome. There may be one or two major plot points which NEED to be revealed in a certain way where a GM will take control of making sure the information gets out there, but they will try to not railroad the plot too much. In the first game, when I was a GM we had a single encounter where for theatrical reasons, we ran a scripted scene where I literally rode down the leader of some raiders/bandits… but that was so we could get the scene of ‘charging someone on horseback’ in a safe manner. So there may be scenes like that where the GMs have decided that they want to add dramatic value to something, but it would not be safe to do so without it being fore-planned.

There were actually legal smoke grenades available a couple of years ago, just coming into use while I was still airsofting- enolagaye.co.nz/ I can’t actually access the website from work, so I don’t know if they are still active or not. From what I recall, they are marketed as ‘cold’ grenades, which means the heat is contained inside them. However I don’t believe that was fully accurate, some tests were run, and we found they could potentially ignite very dry stuff. So YMMV. Land owner permission, not during a fire ban for example.

I also never saw them in action (they were about $20 bucks a go, IIRC).

[quote=“Aurelien”]There were actually legal smoke grenades available a couple of years ago, just coming into use while I was still airsofting- enolagaye.co.nz/ I can’t actually access the website from work, so I don’t know if they are still active or not. From what I recall, they are marketed as ‘cold’ grenades, which means the heat is contained inside them. However I don’t believe that was fully accurate, some tests were run, and we found they could potentially ignite very dry stuff. So YMMV. Land owner permission, not during a fire ban for example.

I also never saw them in action (they were about $20 bucks a go, IIRC).[/quote]

There is also the safety issue of people with allergies or asthma.

Seriously cool about that horse scene!

We have a few very skilled pyrotechnicians back in sweden that handles most of the extravagant effects (fire and smoke) in larps. That was where I got the suggestion. They’ve been using it to produce some horrifying and enjoyable effects.

But I see your points. Both that the material costs a lot and for it to work you would have to (maybe) exclude some people (which would be a shame).

About them poppers… Well… Nobody likes to clean up in the middle of a crash boom bang scene :wink:

I have a Steinlager box filled with bottletops. I’m comming through for Medusa, so I can donate them to Dead Zealand. Mesage me for conformation.

Sounds great. I’ll be running a game in the third round and probably hanging around either side of that besides the point as well.