Project page

nzlarps.org/projects.php

just noticed that this is pre-regionalisation. I assume that project proposers should contact their regional president in the first instance. Also note that committee members are less frequent in Wellington, as we do not yet have a constant stream of projects to oversee.

Are there other pages on the NZLARPS website needing their content updated?

This might be a good time to do a general update, suggestions for new text or pages welcome.

I’ve had a chat to Nick, and we arranged that I will continue keeping the website content up to date while he looks to change the system so that people without technical skills and update the sites.

I’ll be getting on to fixing up content on the NZLARPS site soon, any other issues people spot can be posted here.

I hope Nick has talked with Mike about the ideas and discussions Auckland committee has had on this over the past year. And how this ties in with the stuff he’s been developing for Crucible, and how it might translate to other NZLarps websites etc. No need to re-invent the wheel as it were…

There are architectural decisions to be made over how the NZLARPS websites should be developed, in terms of both technology and functionality.

I think people with ideas about this should go to the Information Technology Officer to discuss them, and that includes Mike. The IT Officer can make a plan and take it to the National Committee for approval.

Fundamentally, there’s a call to be made between having sites developed by Mike in Microsoft.Net and having sites developed by Nick in PHP/MySQL. Either way there is no “reinventing the wheel” in terms of technology. Suitable content management system exist for either platform.

If members of the current Auckland committee have specific requests for functionality on the NZLARPS or whatislarp.co.nz sites, I would suggest they put them to the IT Officer. It is likely to be possible to implement the desired functionality in either technology.

I hope Nick has talked with Mike about the ideas and discussions Auckland committee has had on this over the past year. And how this ties in with the stuff he’s been developing for Crucible, and how it might translate to other NZLarps websites etc. No need to re-invent the wheel as it were…[/quote]

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]There are architectural decisions to be made over how the NZLARPS websites should be developed, in terms of both technology and functionality.

I think people with ideas about this should go to the Information Technology Officer to discuss them, and that includes Mike. The IT Officer can make a plan and take it to the National Committee for approval.

Fundamentally, there’s a call to be made between having sites developed by Mike in Microsoft.Net and having sites developed by Nick in PHP/MySQL. Either way there is no “reinventing the wheel” in terms of technology. Suitable content management system exist for either platform.

If members of the current Auckland committee have specific requests for functionality on the NZLARPS or whatislarp.co.nz sites, I would suggest they put them to the IT Officer. It is likely to be possible to implement the desired functionality in either technology.[/quote]

My intention is to come up with a plan for the NZLARPS and whatislarp sites and put it forward to the national committee for discussion and feedback. From that, the plan will be altered, and whatever is decided in the end will likely go ahead to development and testing. To briefly explain my choices regarding the use of PHP and MySQL; these are the two most commonly used development tools for websites, and thus my use of them will make it more likely that when someone else takes the position they can also manage and update the website as necessary.

As for what Mike is planning, to my understanding that will be a platform from which GMs and players can manage their interactions with each other, creating characters, etc. etc. This doesn’t overlap with the NZLARPS website or the whatislarp website in their uses and intents, so I’m not worried about reinventing the wheel.

Walter pointed out to me last night that Crucible isn’t even listed as a current project (teonn still is, as well as a few others that are in hiatus), nor does sit come up as an event (which is surprising because Robin Hood does). Is someone able to edit this. I think this reiterates the very important point for the new website that it MUST be editable by non-programmers, so that we can keep it up to date.

Events can be added by any member; if Crucible isn’t listed there, then they’ve chosen not to be (and no-body else has decided to do it for them).

It does need to be on the Project page though.

1001 Nights also needs to be added to the Affiliate section