Magic the Gathering - an epic magic heavy fantasy larp

When I was in high school and discovered larp, I had to choose between playing Magic and larping, because I only had enough money for one of the two hobbies, so I’m amused that now Magic is merging into the hobby I picked! :smiley:

Anna, what’s your opinion on asking for permission? I quite like the points Ryan and Adam made but am a little bit worried about it… you’re the boss! what do you think?

[quote=“amphigori”]Well I only wanna play if I can be Serra Angel!! Pulls out special snowflake hat

… Hmmm though maybe a better costuming challenge would be wall of wood. Decisions, decisions…[/quote]

Pahahaha it’s gonna be hard deciding precisely what creatures can and can’t be played, i don’t think a wall would make for a very good planeswalker :stuck_out_tongue:

Serra angel on the other hand…

This doesn’t make sense and doesn’t work. Firstly, the movies are called Star Wars not Starwars, so you, Adam, are using the same name for your Larps as the official name. Secondly, slight variations in names don’t avoid the issues of copyright. Doing so can make it a little less likely that the copyright owner will find out about copyright breaches, but big companies are not likely to find out or care about small non-profit Larps in NZ.

I agree with Ryan. Fair use is allowed and non-profit larps probably fit within its bounds. If not, then the worst that is likely to happen if the copyright holders find out about and disapproved of the larp is that they ask you to stop, at which point you simply stop running the game.

I’m in. I had a card made for me. Kerensky the mage. He costs white and black to play.

I’d be interested!

Bagsy Tevesh Szat :smiley:

Tevesh is taken to lol

It’s a little discouraging to hear that all the figures people want to play are already taken.

I think Zane was confusing Tevesh with Tezzeret, if Adam was doing the same then still - no one is taken! We are not near casting characters. The way we want to play it is the main story line Planeswalker players will be GMs, there is so many that they can be wandering around while 2 or 3 of them brief crew.
This also means i will be likely to cast on certain areas of certain expertise and what have you, depending on interest!

I also want to discourage the idea that people are playing as cards. What i would prefer is that they essentially use all the background of MTG, and create their own being.
If people want to be a card that ascended then that is cool! But they may be putting themselves in to a corner if they don’t look in to the history of the card.
Alternatively loosely basing yourself on a card (for example being John Jacobsmith, the hada freeblade) is a cool idea, it gives you all the necessary background and potential character - without the specifics.

But being that we are still at the point of even deciding the combat system, we aren’t even close to casting or even making this actually happen! It’s gonna take a whoooole lotta work :slight_smile:

I also will need opinions on stuff, so that i know i am catering for the masses, where can i go about casually asking questions to those interested?

Gotta say that while non of the plains walkers really appeal to me some of the little guys do. Who wants to be all powerful when you can be a 1/1 just at the start of your journey? So much to find and learn and do.

Even Urza was there once.

Thanks for clarifying, Jordan :slight_smile: It’s good to know that we haven’t already missed the boat on the game! It sounds like you’re putting a lot of thought into this, and that’s awesome. Can’t wait to see where you take this.

I am happy to be Tavesh at the beggining of his Journy - makes costuming a process not a mission :wink:

Thanks Anna, muchly appreciate the support!

And Dylan i think it would be cool if everyone started at the whole ‘1/1’ with abilities stage and then built up, would make for some epic character builds! And don’t even get me and Mark started on Urza :stuck_out_tongue:

Good call, although Tevesh was dead at the time of ‘the Awakening’ saga he is still a cool character in/from the Dominarian Plane, and we aren’t too pedantic about those kinds of things - pretty much at the end of the day we wanna make a LARP that sucks you in and get’s you addicted as well as the actual game does. Also it is technically based on MTG, so no need for anyone to be a real Nazi about the characters, myself included :wink:

I’m not hugely familiar with the setting, though I’m a definite fan of the game (I don’t have the money for it, sadly). I’d definitely be keen to give this a go though :slight_smile:

Whats wrong with being Urza? He’s nearly as cool as Kerensky. :wink:

[quote=“Helikaon”]Thanks Anna, muchly appreciate the support!

And Dylan i think it would be cool if everyone started at the whole ‘1/1’ with abilities stage and then built up, would make for some epic character builds! And don’t even get me and Mark started on Urza :stuck_out_tongue:

Good call, although Tevesh was dead at the time of ‘the Awakening’ saga he is still a cool character in/from the Dominarian Plane, and we aren’t too pedantic about those kinds of things - pretty much at the end of the day we wanna make a LARP that sucks you in and get’s you addicted as well as the actual game does. Also it is technically based on MTG, so no need for anyone to be a real Nazi about the characters, myself included :wink:[/quote]

[quote=“AbCcCoxDsEHSoeVVa”]Whats wrong with being Urza? He’s nearly as cool as Kerensky. :wink:

[quote=“Helikaon”]Thanks Anna, muchly appreciate the support!

Good call, although Tevesh was dead at the time of ‘the Awakening’ saga he is still a cool character in/from the Dominarian Plane, and we aren’t too pedantic about those kinds of things - pretty much at the end of the day we wanna make a LARP that sucks you in and get’s you addicted as well as the actual game does. Also it is technically based on MTG, so no need for anyone to be a real Nazi about the characters, myself included :wink:[/quote][/quote]

Urza is a big, annoying jerk. Real argument still to come :stuck_out_tongue:

Urza is simply misunderstood. Without his brother mishra things would have been much smoother.

I would love to play this game >_>;;

Bwaha if i ever gather the time to sit down and think about a rule book, then maybe it will happen!

A new thread has been started for this, for those of you who are interested.