Larp Conference - Theory, Discussion and E-Books

I’m still keen, and so far as I’m presently aware the Auckland date works for me. I just don’t know that I really have anything to talk about myself.

[quote=“Anna K”]So, about this Larp Academic Conference Thing

I haven’t forgotten about this idea and I am still very interested in doing it. I would like to moot the following dates:
Auckland - Sunday 29th September
Wellington - Sunday 6th October

Are the people who were previously interested still interested, and do those dates work? Or do I put it off to 2014? :slight_smile:[/quote]
I would like to do a piece on Fragrant Harbour and writing/running a cross cultural game. The October date is fine for me.

Steph

You can count me in for the Wellington date - I’m happy to talk about the ethics of horror games, treatment of sex and sexuality in LARPing, or any number of panel discussions.

Something on creating historical games in general would be interesting. I just don’t want to run it. :blush:

[quote=“theamazingcatherine”][quote=“Stephanie”]

I would like to do a piece on Fragrant Harbour and writing/running a cross cultural game. The October date is fine for me.
[/quote]

Something on creating historical games in general would be interesting. I just don’t want to run it. :blush:[/quote]

I’ve just co-created a(nother) historical game, but I’m not sure I’ve got anything useful and pithy to say about the process. Yet.

Auckland date wouldn’t work for me as I’m going down to wellington for 33AR, and I don’t know if I can justify another flight to Wellington, not sure I would want to run anything anyway, but would have been interested in attending :slight_smile:

[quote=“Anna K”]So, about this Larp Academic Conference Thing

I haven’t forgotten about this idea and I am still very interested in doing it. I would like to moot the following dates:
Auckland - Sunday 29th September
Or do I put it off to 2014? :slight_smile:[/quote]

only 28 days after chimera?
for peeps to reserch, plan and present on larp theory?
…or are peeps intrested doing this all already…

ive got heaps of academic works on one specific larp topic but never turned it into a thingy, though happy to just present findings for discussion.

Zanni, the intention was that people would work towards their articles/presentations whenever they wanted, they didn’t have to wait till Chimera was over :slight_smile:

As it happens though, I really don’t want to do a rush job of this, so I’m going to delay it until next year, looking at June because late June is a reasonably clear spot in the calendar and the terrible weather means it is ideal for academic pursuits.

After Chimera, I will put together a website and submission guidelines, and we’ll go from there :slight_smile:

Huzzah!

Something to read:

An Index to the Canon of Nordic Larp Discourse

And here’s what they’re talking about at NELCO this year:

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … GWHc#gid=0

I’m hoping the notes for some of these will make their way onto the web. Also, cavaliar fashion!

I’d love for there to be a talk on how to constructively deal with Bleed, but I’m not the person to give it.

Erik Fatland has a good piece on debriefing recently:

larpwright.efatland.com/?p=384

(Also, there’s a piece on there about the Aristotelian Curse. I recognise that problem!)

Bleed is something I’m interested in - I could potentially have a dig around for something to present with it.

NELCO 2014 events. These are quite practical, focused on how to run better games. They’re even doing a runthrough and deconstruction of a larp (and a kiwi one at that - Betrothals and Betrayals).

Looks interesting. I love some of the ideas. That said, what on earth is ‘stuffing a game’ all about? It’s not a term I’ve encountered…

Prepping your game materials, traditionally by stuffing them into envelopes.

This has never been a complicated thing for any game I’ve played in, and I struggle to see how you could fill an hour and a quarter talking about it.

It also seems like the discussion there may also be wandering towards putting together all the materials for others to run your game, but I’m not sure.

Nope. It really is just getting it into envelopes.

fairescape.wordpress.com/2014/07 … -stuffing/
fairescape.files.wordpress.com/ … alarp.pptx

From the context, I get the sense that their games are much bigger. 3GMs to stuff a 4-hour game? What the hell are they all doing?

For an 60-80 person game? Yeah, you could put a lot of person hours into that. Putting in a lot of handouts and ability cards can really add up for a large game.