KapCon 09 - Mafia 2071

I’ll be going down, so if you need a body to fill a bed count me in.

Excellent! We just need one more and the Auckland Four will be complete! (or two more, and we can be the Auckland Five!)

On another note, me and Nikki filled out our character questionaires last week, and we got emailled some character options today. Man, that’s efficient.

Grargl. Yeah, count me in, saving money and probably doing summer school be damned. This sounds too fantabulistic to miss!

Good word!!

Righto, we have the Auckland Four.

There’s still room to make it the Auckland Five.

Shakes fists

Curse you Kapcon being in January!!!

Hello from one of the people writing the Mafia 2071 LARP for Kapcon.

Great to see people are enthusiastic about the LARP we are creating. We are looking forward to running it and hope that it will live up to its predecessors.

We have put a blurb of the game up on this forum under the Calendar topic as well as the nzrag website.

If you have not done so already please feel free to fill in the online questionnaire, it can help us get an idea of what types of characters people feel like playing. Any feedback you have is appreciated.

We look forward to seeing as many of you as can make it.

I’m going to be booking the five-bed room at Lodge in the City. We currently have me, Nikki, Muppet and Juliet going, so there’s room for one more. I’m booking it for Saturday night.

Hello,

For all those interested there is now the first of the background information on the kapcon website.

kapcon.rpg.net.nz/?q=node/206

This is not essential reading but is useful if you want to know the direction we are going with for the cyberpunk and Mafia themes.

We will post more information under different pages as we complete it.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail us: kapconlarp09@gmail.com

Is there any chance that we could get a conformation once we have selected a character? Don’t know if my email got through to you, and would like to know :slight_smile:

Thanks

I got confirmation for my character. I’m eagerly awaiting my character sheet so I can go forth and costume!

Hello again,

You should have all received confirmations, if you have not received one please email us a kapconlarp09@gmail.com

At this stage we are going to send out preliminary information on your character in the next week or so, and take more time before producing a character sheet.

We are leaving costuming very much up to the player. Take what you like the most about cyberpunk and Mafia themes and use that.

We can offer specific suggestions if you are stuck or feel there is too much choice.

It’s not too late to get in on the action. Want to join the Auckland Four heading to KapCon? Pipe up now!

We have added a costuming section to the kapcon website, including a link to the costume for one of the GM characters. We hope this provides inspiration for those who have characters and peaks the interest for anyone thinking of playing in the Mafia 2071 LARP.

Costuming

We know that some people enjoy LARP’s for the opportunity they provide to create elaborate costumes, while others would prefer to be able to turn up and play the game. To make the game accessable to everyone we have left the level of costuming up to the player.

If you are stuck for costuming ideas, then a theme we have found useful is “Old is the new new”; take old fashions such as a victorian dress or a pair of 1970’s flares and give it a futuistic twist.

Also in the Mafia 2071 cyberpunk setting there is an array of biological and mechanical implants readily available; cats ears, textured and colured hair / skin / eyes, external and implanted circuitry and even cyberneitc limbs.

In the end anything goes as long as you feel it fits the character you are playing.

A link to a photo of one of the GM characters, Father Bartholomew Bradley, Consiglierie of the Irish Mob is below. This is a more complicated costume but we hope it provides inspiration for those interested in creating something unique.

mooooseproductions.com/Mafia%202071.htm

is there any chance of getting a short run down for who our characters are in personality as I feel that would allow myself at least a better picture in my head of the type of costuming I should be heading for.

Wow, that’s a neat costume!

I’m in the sameboat as Muppet - would love to get a bit more info on my character so I can create a costume in accordance with her personality. I’m currently thinking mostly traditional mafia, with cyberpunk elements, rather than pure cyberpunk.

Sorry about that, must be getting a little ahead of ourselves. If you have not received one already, a brief character description should be sent out this week.

We have assigned character responsibility to members of the LARP team based on faction, meaning that characters from some factions have been sent out, while others are still being worked on.

[quote=“sidicus”]A link to a photo of one of the GM characters, Father Bartholomew Bradley, Consiglierie of the Irish Mob is below. This is a more complicated costume but we hope it provides inspiration for those interested in creating something unique.[/quote]That’s a priest?!? Gosh.

Yes, the Irish cyberneticlly enhanced priest. More a priest on paper than in faith to any one god. We are not expecting everyone to work this hard but the GM has put a lot of effort in so I hope people like it.

Also Anna, I think you definitely have the right idea with the traditional meets cyberpunk for your character. Even the most straight laced sounding character can easily have a futuristic and cyberpunk inspired costume.

As Muppet is wanting, the information we intend to send out should help get you into the the headspace, rather than specifically telling you what color shoes you character should wear. Hopefully this information can provide more inspiration than the name and one line description provided so far.

Oooo! I got my character blurb tonight. I’m so excited!!