Introduce yourself

Iā€™m Wayne from Auckland, and just signed up on the forums.

For those of you who were at Auckgeddon, you may remember me - I was doing the photography with the Star Wars guys across the aisle from your stand. To those of you I did get the chance to talk with, it was great to meet you guys and gals and Iā€™m glad to have finally made my way here - been busier than I would have liked the last few months, so itā€™s taken me until now to find you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to making it along to some of your events for a chance to meet and get to know you all. :smiley:

Hello and welcome aboard! Those Star Wars guys looked awesome, bet youā€™ve got some amazing photos :smiley:

[quote=ā€œmontee916ā€]Iā€™m Wayne from Auckland, and just signed up on the forums.

For those of you who were at Auckgeddon, you may remember me - I was doing the photography with the Star Wars guys across the aisle from your stand. To those of you I did get the chance to talk with, it was great to meet you guys and gals and Iā€™m glad to have finally made my way here - been busier than I would have liked the last few months, so itā€™s taken me until now to find you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to making it along to some of your events for a chance to meet and get to know you all. :smiley:[/quote]

Welcome to Diatribe, looking forward to seeing you at some of our events. :slight_smile:

Welcome to all the new peoples! Quite a few of recent times!

Hey folks,

My name is Arron and I have NO Larp experiance at all! I watched a doco on Sky tvā€™s BBC Knowledge channel the other night and it delt with the NZ Larp scene based around Mordavia and this peaked my interest. I found this site today when surfing around trying to see what its all about etc and so decided to join up and see where it takes me.

Hey Aaron! Welcome :smiley:

You can see what events are coming up by visiting the calendar New Zealand LARPing and Events Calendar and by reading through the forums.

If a game tickles your fancy get in touch with the organisers to see if itā€™s a suitable game/or if they have suitable parts for a first-timer and youā€™ll be off and running.

Most people have extra costuming/equipment that theyā€™re happy to lend to new players for a game - so donā€™t let lack of costume stop you from participating. :slight_smile:

Hey Arron, welcome to Diatribe and the NZ larp community. Cool to hear that documentary got you interested.

Mordavia finished a few years back, but itā€™s been succeeded by other big fantasy larps here in Auckland, the latest being Teonn. There are a couple of weekend events for Teonn each year, plus some games that last a few hours sprinkled through the year.

And there are lots of games in other genres - horror, steampunk, Victorian, etc. Some weekend-long, some taking one day or just an evening. And a big larp convention called Chimera in August with lots of different types of game to try.

There are at least a couple of hundred larpers in town these days I reckon, and youā€™ll find people are very welcoming to new players. Any idea what kind of games might interest you?

Hi Arron, I wish youā€™d signed up a day earlier. You missed an awesome game last night.

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Welcome to diatribe!

Cheers for the welcome guys. I was looking at that event in August as a good chance to prehaps sink my teeth into, as it has a mix of short,long events. @ Derek I am based in Sth Akld, but travel to East for work. Are most of the day events on Saturdays??? Reason is my days off are Sunday/Mondays, but getting time off (if during day) is no probs.

The games at Chimera in August are all about 3 hours long. There are 6 timeslots over the weekend (each timeslot has several games to choose from), so you can play up to 6 games over the weekend. So the lengths are about the same, but thereā€™s a big variety of styles in the games from intrigue to adventures with live combat & foam weapons, across a lot of genres. Great way to get a taste for a variety of larps.

A lot of evening games are on Saturdays, to give people Sunday to recover I guess. Unless you work Sat evening that should be okay though? Full-day games happen on Saturdays and Sundaysā€¦ possibly more often on Saturdays though. Game organisers just schedule times for whenever they think will suit the players, thereā€™s no particular structure to it. Although weekend events almost always start on the Friday evening and run through to the afternoon on Sunday, to get the maximum amount of time in while leaving some time for debrief and cleanup after.

Thought i would bump this as we have quite a few new people who might want to introduce themselves :smiley:

^new member has best user icon ever. mean as gorirra ^.^

I donā€™t think I ever introduced myself.

My name is Che (said like Shay). I am 24, and a student.

I first tried larping a few years ago as Ava - the stupid amnesiac vampire at requiem, and as crew at St. Wolfgangs.

Then I stopped to be anti social, but just tried crewing again at the last Teonn and now I am excited for everythinggggg.

I donā€™t know if anyone will read this, but I am Te Kahurangi, Artist of Rangitukia. I am a youth worker and (obviously) an Artist. I have been involved with LARP since about 1993, when I played Fanad in Hamilton (with Alista Fow) and Gateway in Auckland (with Derek Tomes), and designed my own LARP called REALM! and a less serious LARP called KiL Quest. I Played as one of the firsts players of Twilight Theatre Troupeā€™s Masquerade, and was a storyteller for what was once known as the Junior Masquerade, which evolved into The Ambient Crew. Basically I am an old hand that still likes to see what others can do and enjoy myself as a player for a change. I live on the East Cape and as such I am miles from anywhere. My nick-name is TK. :mrgreen:

Hi, Iā€™m Pete. I am originally from Taranaki but have been off exploring the world for the last four years. In the UK I have been to Maelstrom and The Lorien Trust over the last two years. I am also involved in organising a game for secondary school students called Age of Seekers. I am returning to NZ in December and am looking forward to getting involved in the scene there. I will most likely end up living in the Wellington area, however this depends on where I get a job for 2013.

Excellent. Thereā€™s a strong theatre-style scene in Wellington, and weā€™re just taking the first steps towards outdoor combat-style larp, with 33AR (steampunk) and Kingdom (fantasy).

Good places to meet wellington larpers: here, KapCon (January), Hydra (April).

Nice to see you here Pete. :wink:

Hi Daniel,

welcome to nzlarps!

Whereabouts in New Zealand are you?

Where did you hear about larping?

I nuked Daniel, looked 100% spambot to me despite the lack of apparent spam as yet.

Sometimes they come back and edit their posts to add spam.

Hiiiii! :smiley:

My name is Pattee. You can call me Pat. o: I live in Auckland, and I study at uni. I thought I was going to lurk around the forums for a while, but then I saw that superhero LARP. So. I signed up! Now excuse me I have to sign up for that LARP I saw <3

EDIT: I am not as ditsy as I can come across. :smiley: And Iā€™ve never LARPed before, but Iā€™ve been keen for quite a while. <3
EDIT2: Actually I AM pretty ditsy! :smiley: IT IS SUPER FUNNNNNN.

Itā€™s 6:15 AM I havenā€™t slept yet. I am hyper. I will go away now u