German LARP cons and big thanks!

Maybe we could get Moo and Dave to come over too :smiley:

Was at the flight centre today checking out stuff for the trip I was planning to Romania and she said if there were a group of 10 or more that booked together they could do a deal on flights. If the tour I was planning on going on gets too expensive I might scrap it till the year after and just go to this :slight_smile:

Far out :smiley:

Iā€™d probably be looking at ā€˜round the worldā€™ tix in order to see a few different places. Technically, this would be our honeymoon so I guess weā€™d better work on that wedding. Or do things in the wrong order!

[quote=ā€œamphigoriā€]Ok, itā€™s actually totally achievable that I could make it to that game.

Is there anyone else in the community who might be heading to Germany around then and would be keen?

Jens, would you be a good person to talk to about how to make the most of the game? The website is a little intimidating![/quote]

Unfortunately I havenā€™t been to ConQuest yet. I participated in the Dragonfest twice.
But you can ask me everything you want and I can try to give you an answer :smiley:

[quote=ā€œJon Ballā€]

Ditto. That just lookedā€¦ do I need to learn another language for it? Because, you know, with 9 months I might be able to manage thatā€¦

Jon[/quote]

Well, actually those two huge cons attract players from all over the world. So there are many non-German participants. :wink:
Normally every German person is able to understand and response in English. But I think you should check out the forum of those English guys and ask them about it :wink:

Well in the worst scenario it could be up to 2,000 km ^^

Btw. I found some nice pictures of the Dragonfest:

I can vouch for a couple of us who are also now running numbers to see if this is possible, we wanted to spend some time in Europe soon anyway. Do keep us all informed if other people from NZ do want to do this, going as a group for the larp could be nice.

I just swoon at the big, filthy, monstrous Orcs I see pictures of from the European larps. Terrifying.

So, Iā€™m starting a piggy bank to go.
/set up bank account savings number 3.

Iā€™ve been following the group for the UK Grand Expedition to Drachenfest/Mythodea for a while now. Iā€™d like to go to. :wink:

The have unfreakingbelievable costumes. At my best Iā€™d still feel like I was dressed in rags next to themā€¦

Hereā€™s a bunch of their photo albums:
(Be prepared to be blown away)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.214215141970646.51241.121329411259220&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.121337887925039.16674.121329411259220&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.121339074591587.16675.121329411259220&type=1

Itā€™d be a heck of a challenge to do good costuming AND get it all the way over there.

Then thereā€™s the matter of camping gear. And getting replica weapons (as Iā€™d read some airlines donā€™t allow them, even as checked baggage).

But Iā€™m still so keen.

You wonā€™t have problems with larp weapons. Theyā€™re toys.

Iā€™ve never even had problems with blunt steel swords for Aussie or the UK. They see theyā€™re blunt and know they can be bought locally so there is no problem bringing them into those countries.

Iā€™ve never even had problems with blunt steel swords for Aussie or the UK. They see theyā€™re blunt and know they can be bought locally so there is no problem bringing them into those countries.[/quote]

Yep always refer top the larp stuff as toys, and the steel stuff as theatre props and youā€™ll never have problems. As soon as they hear theatre props its relatable and they understand, but if you say larp or reenactment or something else they need you to explain it.

Iā€™ve never even had problems with blunt steel swords for Aussie or the UK. They see theyā€™re blunt and know they can be bought locally so there is no problem bringing them into those countries.[/quote]

Yep always refer top the larp stuff as toys, and the steel stuff as theatre props and youā€™ll never have problems. As soon as they hear theatre props its relatable and they understand, but if you say larp or reenactment or something else they need you to explain it.[/quote]

From the Great Exhibition website Ryan linked to:

ā€œAs you know playing abroad has its own challenges such as finding a airline that will permit replicas and then you have the weight limits. Currently most flights allow 20kg luggage but restrict on Weapons and the budget airlines like jet2 and bmi baby donā€™t allow any replicas whatsoever. On the big airlines Any additional baggage is normally Ā£8 ā€“ Ā£10 per kgā€

Just better to be safe than sorry. Obviously Iā€™ve flown replica weapons between here and Welly a number of times. But at the same time they almost wouldnā€™t let me take my toy gun for Witch House - even though it was still in the very cartoony toy box. And this was in my checked-on luggage (obviously).

We will be over in europe at the time, so might actually be able to make thisā€¦ It would be so awesome if even oneperson from NZ could make it!

To be honest the idea of so many people in a larp daunts me a bitā€¦ but the shiny costumes intrigue me far more!

[quote=ā€œLady Premaā€]

To be honest the idea of so many people in a larp daunts me a bitā€¦ but the shiny costumes intrigue me far more![/quote]
Mega Agree

Why didnt anyone tell me of the existance of these LARPs when I was STILL IN the Netherlands >.>ā€¦ I move to the other side of the world, and what I do I find out? The best LARPS are right where I came from XD. Ah well, I am happy just participating in Teonn =3.

Just to clarify here - the UK Expedition thing isnā€™t one, but TWO larps, that usually happen right after each other. It effectively means a whole week of LARPING, 24/7. :smiley:

drachenfest.info/

live-adventure.de/ConQuest_english/start.php

I had a good chat with the guy organising the expedition, and from what he said it sounds very much like a full simulation of gathered warbands. Thereā€™s a heavy element of ā€œour camp vs your campā€, especially at Conquest - but on the other hand, youā€™d be hanging out in a full-sized and fully populated medieval town :smiley:

Gracious!! Thatā€™s a lot of LARP.

My concerns are:

• Getting enough kit over to make decent costumes
  • Getting tent space somewhere
  • Having a decent-sized crew of people to play with/share resources with

Those UK guys make it really easy ā€¦ if youā€™re coming from the UK. I wonder if there are groups with tent space whoā€™d be willing to host us Kiwis.

More than likely - but Iā€™d suggest teaming up with the Expedition regardless, on the grounds youā€™ll know they speak English :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a sneaky suspicion most of the folks involved just double-up on their kit as well, two very similar characters - if not identical.

How about Canada? Its closerā€¦

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicolline

Dammit! This is like the second awesome going-overseas thing I wonā€™t be able to do next year because the uni wonā€™t let me take time off :frowning:
If only I was finished with this degree!