Games for Chimera 2014

We’re going to need 30 new awesome games for Chimera 2014.

What are the basic criteria for games?

• Characters must be pre-written by the game writer (i.e. players do not create own characters), and mechanics must be reasonably simple.
  • The game must take no more than three hours to run, including set up time, briefings, debriefings and pack down. You are realistically looking at 2-2.5 hours of actual play time. PLEASE pay attention to this one.
  • One-off games heavily preferred, campaign games are invitational only. Campaign games may not include player characters from their normal campaign, and must not require any previous knowledge of the setting.
  • Your game must be able to function with only 80% of player spaces filled.
  • Your game must have at least 12 characters, and no more than 30.

My game needs to run at a specific time, and needs 2 buildings and a helicopter!
We will do our best to schedule your game at a time most optimal to its success, but we need you to be flexible with us as well - not everybody can run on Friday night! Scheduling is determined by a lot of factors, and the chief aim of the schedule juggling act is to make sure that each round has enough player spaces to meet expected demanded, each round has a suitable variety of genres and styles, and that each round has enough playing spaces to accommodate all the games. It’s not half-tricky to get it to work, so it helps if there is no fixed time that your game must run. The same applies for where you would like to run your game - while we will endeavour to give you the location that best fits your game, flexibility is helpful.

How many characters can my game have?
We’re continuing to aim for the stars and beyond. Because of the size of Chimera, we’re need to accommodate between 130-150 people each round.

How many games will you need? How do you pick which games to run?
How many games we need depends on how many characters the games have. We will probably be needing at least five games per round, so somewhere between 25-30 games for the convention. We try to fit in all the games we are offered but we may have concerns. New GMs should try to work with a more experienced GM to make sure a high quality game is produced.

How many games can I run?
It’s actually a fair amount of work to write a game for Chimera and we try to spread the workload across more people rather than less, so you may run, at most, two games and have your name down for one back up game.

What sort of help can Chimera give me with my game?
We want to make the game running process as easy for you as possible. From early next year, the Chimera team will be in touch and available to support you through the process. We will help you source gear, help you liaise with players and be on hand to help pull things together when things go pear shaped. There is a fair amount of backstage chat between the GMs in the months leading up to the convention, so there is a good sense of community with the other game masters and the organisers. While we do our best to get you the gear you require, being realistic is really helpful as well - try to use what we already have in the gear shed, and if you require something truly esoteric, we may not be able to help. Then again, we’ve sourced a cauldron before, so who knows.

For whatever reason, I am not able to write a new game but would like to run something at Chimera. Can I do this?
Not a worry. Any game that has been made available to run, or you have acquired permission from the original writers, can be run at Chimera.

How do I submit a game?
To formally submit a game, please email the following details through to chimera@nzlarps.org, and we will be in touch to discuss:

Public Information
Title:
Authors:
Blurb: (to interest potential players, so no spoilers)
Cast List: (if available, otherwise character numbers and gender ratio. Please indicate what the minimum number for the game to run is.)
Costuming Requirements:
GM Contact Info: (to go on the website)

For the Organisers
Are there any timing restrictions on your game?
What level of roleplayers is your game pitched at? How many brand new people is your game able to handle?
Will there be any difficult gear requirements?
What sort of playing space will you need?

I have a question you haven’t answered here.
I’m happy to answer it

(Moved from the other thread)

So, what are people planning to run?

The Wellington conspiracy may be able to do a re-run of “Dry Spell”. And if I’m not tied up in that, I’d be tempted to re-run “Dance and the Dawn” (which is Too Small, but makes up for it in coolness) or “New Voices in Art”. Or maybe I’ll have something new written by May…

I’m planning on running “Morningstar, Texas”, a Southern Gothic horror game that I’ve had kicking around in my head for a few months.

About to submit Hotel Corellia, a Star Wars cantina-style LARP.

And also Cleanup The LARP. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still tossing up whether or not I want it to be ‘Quick as the Greyhound’s Mouth’, or ‘Quick Wit and Queasy Stomach’. If it’s the latter, it’ll be set at the aftermath of one of Raumati High’s parties.

Alternatively, if I don’t want to write something new, I’ll be blowing the dust off ‘Angels in the Fog’ for an Auckland run.

Queasy Stomach eh? My LARP still haunting you?

I’m considering running When the End of the World Came, my post-apocalyptic game about a small group of survivors just trying to get by another night alone. I’m going to take a small break from LARP-writing first I think :smiley:

Haha, out of character I was mostly fine. I just realised that considering my giant breakfast that day, if I was going to be finishing those hot dogs, it’d take me another half hour. Becoming a vegetarian seemed far more interesting.

Bad Dreams.

Me and Jack will be submitting a game for 2014!

[size=120]All the King’s Men?[/size]
Description: A nursery rhyme mash up.
Theme Goals: Comedy, Satire and Politics (Puzzles and Adventure likely)
Target: 25 players

Seeking writers and brain-stormers: Apply via PM.

I’m considering another Steampunk Alive! game, since they seem to be enjoyable and the like…

Well colour me surprised.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I am currently intending to write a Doctor Who larp called “The Eleven Doctors” although I may have to update that number. Whether or not I write this will depend on how busy I get

Essentially I am in the same camp as Martin; I will be running something, but right now the last thing I want to be doing is considering making another larp :wink:

Depending on demand (as in, how many people want to play Slash 2 who don’t get to in November), Slash 2 or Slash 3.

Please invite me to run a game. I have a concept and plot down already! Themes include the loss of the mysterious, Avalon and but with a odd non Arthurian twist. It will be heavily wsiwyg (what you see is what you get). Low magic pseudo historical fantasy live combat game utilising my newest larp ideas.

Possibly running a game with Emily, and either re-running A Night or plotting a sequel or something new! I don’t know yet…

KiL Quest III rule set will be replaced by KiL Quest IV for the adventure; KiL Quest IV, Rock Music. Should be easier to play. :unamused:

I certainly hope to run a game at Chimera 2014, if finances pan out. Not sure what it will be just yet though, so we’ll see.