Chips

Silly question but im good at them so i know that according to the rules
"Chips - money or at least the closest thing to it. Not accepted everywhere, and worth different amounts to different people." and its been suggested that we trade for ammo and other things but if we are using Chips how, what and where. is there somewhere we need to go to get specific chips, how many is too many for a bag of chips :open_mouth:
i could really use some help here i donā€™t want to overcharge in todays market but you knowā€¦ Maths and i have issues at the best of times so ideas before going into the game are mightily apreciated

[quote=ā€œdaenaā€]Silly question but im good at them so i know that according to the rules
"Chips - money or at least the closest thing to it. Not accepted everywhere, and worth different amounts to different people." and its been suggested that we trade for ammo and other things but if we are using Chips how, what and where. is there somewhere we need to go to get specific chips, how many is too many for a bag of chips :open_mouth:
i could really use some help here i donā€™t want to overcharge in todays market but you knowā€¦ Maths and i have issues at the best of times so ideas before going into the game are mightily apreciated[/quote]

As far as I can tell there is really no set price for chips.

Chips are poker chips from what I can tell. Which means you canā€™t really make them anymore, but you can find them. They are a pretty arbitrary monetary system because while people might use them as money they are not guaranteed.

You might be able to make a medpack and you could sell it for a lot of chips, because they value of a medpack is likely quite high. But lets say you get 1000 chips for it, those chips only have value if someone is willing to take them off your hands. No one the world guarantees a chip so you canā€™t go to anyone with a chip and expect to get something in exchange. So they can act a go between in a barter system, but they are risky.

In the same example you need to consider just how large a bag of 1000 chips is going to be. Pretty big. So large that no one is realistically going to carry that around. I would honestly surprised is many people (both in the world and as a character prop) carry much more than 30 chips. Thatā€™s about a pouch. You might carry 3 pouches for 100 if you really thought they would do much. Some poker chips have denominations on them, but would people even bother with that, especially when a lot of people canā€™t read.

By the same token, if you made a medpack from someone and took a favour instead you might be going somewhere. Yes the person might die and you lose the favour, but the medpack didnā€™t help them much either did it. So either you get chips which you need to find a buyer for, or you keep a favour with the person which could amount to something they can get or do for you but not right now. Or you trade for goods they do have which will be useful to someone even if it isnā€™t you.

The thing with chips is that they have no use. No real value. So if someone takes them great, now they have to move them. The act as a go between in a barter system for people that donā€™t want to trade. In a town they are likely to work a little better because most people will make/hunt one thing and they donā€™t really want to go and have to trade it to everyone to get all the things they need. So if you have a trade goods store which buys and sells stuff then the shop owner is likely to deal in chips because they can set a market value for each good. If someone is doing this then chips become a useful tool around the town. So Ants bartender might accept chips because he can go to the store and buy a deer to serve at dinner. Like Ants has already stated the deer straight up is worth more to him because there is no mark up and stuff. Outside of a town who knows.

So I guess a better question to ask is whether someone is Crosspire actually deals in chips in this way because if they donā€™t then everyone has to do the hard work of going to all the different places they want and bartering a deal with a bunch of different people.

Ammo
This really is a separate situation. Sophie wants ammo to be scarce, partially because it is a limited resource and isnā€™t super easy to make, but also because it will help control combat within the game. The ammo limit is good and creates demand for ammo. The main problem really is that the value of ammo is likely to be inflated in the game because of game reasons not world reasons. Most players will likely be able to use a gun and want ammo just in case. When players see ammo as currency it inflates. This likely wouldnā€™t really be the case because percentage of people that can use a gun (and have a gun) in a real version of TWTI is going to be significantly lower than it is in this fictional game generated one.

Iā€™m not saying the ammo limit isnā€™t good. Itā€™s great. Itā€™s interesting. But ammo isnā€™t hard currency either. and weā€™ll probably value it more than it probably should be valued, though I must admit that is speculation based on my observation.

Conclusion
What you need to know is what is important to your character. Do you need food, do you need ammo, do you need a caravan and 4 guards to help you move to another town. How do you get those things? Can you buy them with chips? If the answer to the last is no then chips are worthless to you. If the answer is yes then then you will be one of the people setting the market on chips because you will accept them.

Iā€™ve done a bit of thinking about it obviously. I canā€™t say I know what anything is worth until people start playing. And while I think the barter system will be an interesting part of the roleplaying of the game. I doubt it will be the major focus of the roelplaying at all. Suffice to say that it is unlikely that anyone does anything for nothing in the world that is, and those that do are rare or stupid, probably both.

Thanks Jarratt. You answered for me :slight_smile:

As explain chips only hold the value that the person you are trading with gives them. If they place no value in them then they are just little circles of coloured plastic.