Calimacil Weapons

Just wondering what NZLARPS stand is on using them, as I liked the look of one and wanted to check I could use it in combat at say, Teonn, if I bought it. They recommend on their site to check before you buy.

From previous discussions with people about these weapons, I’ve heard that they aren’t larp safe unless combatants are wearing decent armour. NZLARPs, however, has not issued an official opinion on them (to my knowledge).

nzLARPS does not issue official opinions on much, we tend to leave it up to the individual game organiser in question depending on the style of larp they are running. All we ask is that whatever type of larp they run, all reasonable safety precautions are taken. For example, if someone wanted to run a larp that had re-enactment steel combat instead of foam combat, that would be fine, so long as there were strict safety measures in accordance with the risks associated therein.

Therefore, if you wanted to use the weapon primarily for Teonn, you would need to contact Muppet to discuss it.

If you want a weapon for general larp use, I recommend you buy something much more in line with the generic construction and safety customs. People will have advice on where they’ve gotten their things from.

I have an older generation calimacil blade. As mentioned, it has some rather odd properties which make it unsuitable for general larp use. I have heard that they’re generally not liked in many systems in Europe. But I have no idea what the newer blades are like.

Thanks for the information, I was looking at getting one of their new “very safe” (quoted from their site) hybrid weapons. They appear to have a 60 day return policy if it doesn’t meet the LARP weapon inspection, so I’ll ask muppet and inquire about this return policy for NZ customers.

Funny how stories like that get to the other side of the world.

Fist of all Iam not neutral, since I work for Calimacil as their guy in Denmark…

Use in the EU.
It is simpy not true. Thats based on the fact that we are selling lots of weapons to Spain, France, Germany and Sweden.
If they where not allowed, then we wouldn’t sell so many :wink:

Here in Denmark they are in wide use.
yes, some larps for children and teenagers don’t allow them. But most larps for adults do.
At larp like Krigslive (Warhammer) 40% or more of the weapons are calimacil…
(this number is a educated guess based on the fact that at the latest krigslive 11-12 of 24 units primarily used calimacil)

And they are used at some larp campaigns for children/teenagers. And its not a problem*.
The user just need to remember that you only need to use the “propper” force when attacking… based on the age of the target and the amount of armour.
[attachment=0]S2300129.jpg[/attachment]
The weapon in the picture is actually owned by the club and is one of the weapons you can borrow, if you don’t have one.
Calimacil, Palnatoke and Epic Armoury properly make up 95% of the weapons at that larp. (havn’t tried to get a % for calimacil. 25%+ would be my guess)

*With a lightweight latexweapon you can do all sorts for strange things… and very fast… and a lack of control is actually an advantage.
The result is that many players really have no idea where their weapon is going.
But since this simply cant be done with a calimacil because of the weight. You are forced to actually learn how to use a sword… and that make sure that more players know what they are doing.

Thanks for that Thomas. I think I need to qualify some of my earlier statements.
My calimacil blade is a squire model of the older type.
It is 110cm long.
I find the tip is quite hard if you catch your opponent with it. Also it is too hard to thrust with against unarmoured opponents.
The foam is soft when handling it but appears quite stiff when you strike with it. This might be a matter of personal calibration, as I have not used it a lot, mostly because of my experience with it. What I do find odd is the the blade quivers after an impact, which seems to add to the firmness of the blade.
I do acknowledge that I have little i larp experience with the blade, as no one elsei know has or uses calimacil. This is probably aroundc cost and familiarity

[quote=“Jared”]Thanks for that Thomas. I think I need to qualify some of my earlier statements.
My calimacil blade is a squire model of the older type.
It is 110cm long.
I find the tip is quite hard if you catch your opponent with it. Also it is too hard to thrust with against unarmoured opponents.
The foam is soft when handling it but appears quite stiff when you strike with it. This might be a matter of personal calibration, as I have not used it a lot, mostly because of my experience with it. What I do find odd is the the blade quivers after an impact, which seems to add to the firmness of the blade.
I do acknowledge that I have little i larp experience with the blade, as no one elsei know has or uses calimacil. This is probably aroundc cost and familiarity[/quote]

Mainland EU larp is very different from GB larp.

In GB Calimacil blades are banned except from the most hardcore events which are essentially just a boffer bash where the weapons need to be able to take a full power swing.

Is the head a hitzone in GB larps?

In some larps yes - in most larps no.