Calendar archives

Is this calendar still being updated?

as the last event attracted around 300 people in costume and the recent Halloween event was so successful a date has now been set for the next Aether and Iron.

The event is listed in Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=186278488123011

Steampunk? Of course I shall be there!

In light of the Teonn/Chrono clash, I thought I’d bring up the subject of a calendar again.

For ease of keeping the calendar up to date, rather than have one person updating it could the permissions be set so anyone could add to it? If a GM runs a gain they could pop it on the calendar (ideally including all larps, even if their not official NZLARPS ones).

Just a thought. March is suddenly getting full and that seems so far away!

This is starting to get really really turnipbound.

Can the calendar either be removed OR given to somone in one of the comitties to be responsible for.

Neither party (Teonn or Chrono) is responsible for this clash but because of the popularity of Teonn people have booked flights to attend so the date cannot be moved - this gives Chrono two options - move date or struggle on with potentially fewer people.

There are alot of accusations going around of ‘the big bully larps’ pushing smaller larps to one side. I do not feel that this is productive nor fair to any GM’s.

This kind of attitude stinks - you know who you are. Just because you say things behind backs and closed doors does not mean people won’t find out you said them. Shame on you - you know who you are - if the lot of you ever step up to the plate and say things openly I will be more than happy to have a diatribe with you about tolerance and accidents. (Ironic i know).

Does anyone who is more familiar with Google calendars than I am know if this is possible? If it is, I think it’s the best way to handle the calendar, just set it so GMs can add their own games.

For reference, the game dates for ‘The Phoenix Rising’ in 2012 will be the following;

January 14th
February 11th
March 10th
April 14th
May 12th
June 9th
July 14th
August 11th
September 8th
October 13th
November 10th
December 8th

Alternatively, we could retire this calendar and people could use the event listings on the NZLARPS website, which GMs can edit.

The drawbacks of the NZLARPS calendar are that it doesn’t yet present events in a calendar format, and that there isn’t a way to schedule a regularly recurring event in one action. It could be improved though.

Does anyone who is more familiar with Google calendars than I am know if this is possible? If it is, I think it’s the best way to handle the calendar, just set it so GMs can add their own games.[/quote]

I’ve done some investigating.

Google calendars can be shared so that others have editing rights. This involves changing the calendar settings so that you “share” the calendar with specific people. Unfortunately they’ll need a Gmail account to do this, so if they don’t have a Gmail address I think they’d be asked to create one to access the calendar.

Once you invite them to share your calendar you set the permissions so they can ‘change events’ (which, un-intuitively, also allows them to add events).

I think it’d be awesome to have as many games on that calendar as possible - not just NZLARPS ones, as well as the larger geek events (Kapcon, Chimera, Hydra, Armageddon, etc…). As a GM deciding when to run a game I’d like as much info as possible to help me select a date for my game. As a player it’d totally help me keep my games straight!

As a suggestion, you could start by giving access to all the GMs of games that are run regularly, people who run games frequently, and the NZLARPS officers.

If people who don’t have access to the calendar want to add their one-off event (or an event that they think the wider community would want to know about, like Armaggeddon) they could email the marketing officers (or make a request on Diatribe) and request that information is put on the calendar.

Likewise, if someone doesn’t, but thinks they should have access to the calendar they could email the marketing officers (or post on Diatribe) and ask for the login details.

These instructions could be in a sticky post in the Calendar section of Diatribe, and on the homepage of the NZLARPS website.

Would that work?

The intent of the calendar was always this, it was never for “nzLARPS events only”, our only problem has been finding someone willing and able to update the calendar with these events on a regular basis, rather than snobbery on nzLARPS’ part :wink:

[quote]As a suggestion, you could start by giving access to all the GMs of games that are run regularly, people who run games frequently, and the NZLARPS officers.

If people who don’t have access to the calendar want to add their one-off event (or an event that they think the wider community would want to know about, like Armaggeddon) they could email the marketing officers (or make a request on Diatribe) and request that information is put on the calendar. [/quote]

I think it would be easier to investigate a calendar solution that doesn’t require so many hoops and if-thens. The calendar is far more likely to stay updated if it’s easy to do rather than if there’s a an apparently daunting series of things to do and people to ask. Let’s keep looking and if we turn up nothing else, we can come back to Google Calendars.

Would the Google calendar be available for viewing (only) if you don’t have a gmail account? And would it be feasible/plausible/realisitc for the National Secretary to look after the calendar, and for people running a game to check with the Secretary before announcing a game? Hopefully it shouldn’t slow things down too much, although (thinking out loud) it wouldn’t solve the problem for non-NZ LARPS games, I guess…

Either way, someone is going to have to take responsibility for adding the non-nzLARPS events, it’s just a question of who and how.

what is this… i dont even…

I’ll do it on a medium-term basis. I’m this close to developing my own calendar to keep track of my own stuff, so it’s not that much more effort to include everyone’s stuff.

But I’m hopeful that down the track there’ll be a smarter solution using Science! Or at least php 3.whatever-friendly scripts or what have you.

If you’re happy for me to add stuff to the calendar please add me (amphigori at g mail dot com) as someone who can edit events on that calendar and I’ll start populating it with stuff.

the OWOD setting / NMET system game

The Phoenix Rising is a long-running Vampire chronicle in Auckland that used to be part of the international “One World By Night” organisation but has recently become independent, as mentioned here.

The group is an affiliate of NZLARPS, and has forums here:

thephoenixrises.free-forums.tv

If we want to keep this Google calendar up to date, how about making it editable from all the official committee member Gmail addresses (national and regional)? That way when new committee members get access to their email they will also get access to the calendar, so that anyone on the committees can update it.

On top of that, the personal Gmail addresses of any kind volunteers like Jackie who want to help it up to date could be given access.

That’s what I was trying to suggest Ryan, thanks :slight_smile:

I’m also currently experimenting with this online calendar system seems to have some nice functionality:

New Zealand LARPing and Geeky Events Calendar

Can I just say - I am glad this is finally having some potential movement. This kind of chatter has occured before so please - this time - carry it through.

Not @ Amphigori - you are actually organised. More at the people you have to lean on to get anything done.

[quote=“Xcerus”]Can I just say - I am glad this is finally having some potential movement. This kind of chatter has occured before so please - this time - carry it through.

Not @ Amphigori - you are actually organised. More at the people you have to lean on to get anything done.[/quote]

It makes me wonder though, if you are truly so concerned about the issue, why did you not step up yourself and offer to help like Jackie did? This community is run on people who volunteer their time, and for all its faults, NZLARPS does a really good job at helping run larps in New Zealand.