An international larp documentary

This is an interesting-looking documentary that is currently in production:

dragonfluff.net/en/pdfs/Info … draft2.pdf

It’s attempting to cover the full scope of larp around the world, and is being made by larpers. They seem to have a solid grip on the difficulties.

If we weren’t so over being filmed I’d suggest this is something we might want to support. The makers are largely in Australia, so NZ would be a short hop for them - they’re mostly filming in Europe so far.

This looks extremely likely to produce a documentary that gives a positive and well-balanced portrayal of LARP. I’d contribute if they came to do filming.

I think these guys sound like they are worth supporting. I’m sure we can rustle up some of us who aren’t over being filmed and sort something out with them? I would hate for New Zealand to be left off the global larping map. If we’re sick of seeing lousy representations of ourselves in the media, we should get behind positive representations of ourselves.

Here’s an example of a really decent news article that covers larping:

smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion … -zbif.html

It’s about hobbies that involve costume in general. The coverage of larp is short but sweet, and gives me hope for improvement in media coverage. Saying larpers want “the opportunity to live and breathe their favourite film or literary characters” might not be 100% accurate because it leaves out original characters, but it definitely captures the spirit of larp in a positive way. The rest of the article is equally upbeat about reenactment, cosplay, etc.

In kinda-related news, today the US edition of Google News has introduced a feature where you can customise your categories of interest. So I now have a category called “LARP”, sitting next to “World” and “Sci/Tech”, and when I click it I get a stream of all the most recent larp news items in the world. I’m in customisable news heaven. :O)