Absolute Noob's guide to making a shield

That’s because you’re you Derek. :smiley:

I’m curious now though - why can’t you sleep the few nights before game?

Anticip…ation.

And plotting. Mostly plotting :smiling_imp:

Next bit! Just a quick update:

After just the tiniest bit of trimming the edges:

To make them flat:

I taped around the edge with Duct Tape:

It’s amazing how much just doing that has stiffened up the shield! Next and last thing for tonight is get the tape edges even, by lightly running the knife blade over the tape, so as not to cut into the shield itself

Viperion

Gettin’ near finishing time!!!

First I cut out a piece of fabric just a little bit smaller than the shield, then put it over the back of the shield, cut holes in it for the straps; then spray glued the back of the shield and the fabric, and stick it down:

Cut out a piece of fabric about 2 inches bigger than the shield and spray glue that to the front:

Fold the edge bits around and glue down (thanks once again to Heather for showing me how to do this :slight_smile: )

Wait for the glue to dry, then put on the first coat of paint!!!

The end, she is in sight :slight_smile:

Viperion

Or, if you’re a fabric hoarder, you can just use some coloured cloth on the front, and save the painting for the bits that matter.

I didn’t have anywhere near the right quantity of the right coloured cloth :slight_smile: It actually doesn’t look as bad as that photo makes it look, the flash shows up all sorts of bits that are quite hard to see. Definitely still putting on another coat though, then doing the trimmings :slight_smile:

Viperion

I like to cover the back of the shield with fabric first. That way, the front fabric can wrap around and the nasty overlap is on the back. If you look at the larp photographs, you’re more likely to be photographed with the back of your shield showing than the front, so it’s important to give that equal treatment.

I did do that :slight_smile: (Is that not clear from the pics? I was hoping it was.) The back has some nice pleats in it which make it look quite flat. I don’t know yet whether I’ll be painting the back of it or leaving it fabric-coloured. At this stage I’ll finish the front and see how much time I have :smiley:

Viperion

I think Derek is getting words confused, and means, cover the front first, with the overlap as you have done, and then the “just fitting” back piece can be glued over the folded over bits of the front fabric. (Well, that’s what I thought he meant and what makes sense to me.)

I’ve done both :smiley:

[quote=“Hannah”]I think Derek is getting words confused, and means, cover the front first, with the overlap as you have done, and then the “just fitting” back piece can be glued over the folded over bits of the front fabric. (Well, that’s what I thought he meant and what makes sense to me.)[/quote]Ah this makes sense too :slight_smile: Didn’t think of that. Next time :smiley:

Viperion

Worst Update Evar.

But [size=200]BEHOLD[/size]

HAHAHAHHA :laughing:

Viperion

Very cool.

Of course, having made some kit, you’ll now die. Its a curse.

Nice! :smiley:

[quote=“IdiotSavant”]Very cool.

Of course, having made some kit, you’ll now die. Its a curse.[/quote]

This is what I was thinking as I made my leather armour…